503 HDV issues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Update

I sent mine back to Jersey/Bogen and spoke to a nice guy named John who works in service. On the day, which is today, he got mine to look at, he sent another one out immediately saying I needed a replacement. When I asked what was wrong with mine, he said it was lose inside for some odd reason. So, on this issue, I had not lost my mind and I probably really know how to adjust a head, but John said due to the condition of mine, there wasn't any adjusting I could do externally that would make it work right.

So my advice is if you are having a hard time with it, maybe it's needs a warranty repair. My head was less than 6 months old.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Well, I've tried everywhichaway to live with this 503hdv head, had it rebuilt etc, but I can get better action out of my 503 reg head. So my plan is to swing by New York and look at alternative heads for my main cam. I've contacted Vinten to see if the plates are interchangeable on their heads with my bogen heads. I hope so.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I've contacted Vinten to see if the plates are interchangeable on their heads with my bogen heads. I hope so.
Nope, at least not from the vision 3. It's twice the price but worth it.
You can put an Bogen/manfrotto 577 on top if you want to use your old plates.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Steven.............

Sorry to hear about your 503 HDV, tho' not particularly suprised.

The 501/ 503 plates won't go anywhere near a Vinten head, or vice versa.

Also, be aware that Vinten Vx series heads don't work at all well with Bogen/ Manfrotto sticks (actually, come to think of it, they don't seem to work well with anything but Vinten sticks).

It's to do with the design of the centre bolt, grip cup and handle.

You may be able to get the grip cup onto the centre bolt but unlikely to have more than a couple of degrees of adjustment, which VERY rapidly becomes a major PITA.

Having said all the above, the Vx series heads are magic if:

a. You have them on Vinten sticks.

b. The V 3 spring you choose happens to exactly match the COG of your chosen weapon configuration.

The V 6 does have infinately variable COG adjustment, but it only cuts in at a weight/ COG far too high for most HDV camera systems.

As has been suggested before, I would look at Libec, Sachtler or Miller for a replacement.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Sorry to hear about your 503 HDV, tho' not particularly suprised.

The 501/ 503 plates won't go anywhere near a Vinten head, or vice versa.

Also, be aware that Vinten Vx series heads don't work at all well with Bogen/ Manfrotto sticks (actually, come to think of it, they don't seem to work well with anything but Vinten sticks).

It's to do with the design of the centre bolt, grip cup and handle.

You may be able to get the grip cup onto the centre bolt but unlikely to have more than a couple of degrees of adjustment, which VERY rapidly becomes a major PITA.

Having said all the above, the Vx series heads are magic if:

a. You have them on Vinten sticks.

b. The V 3 spring you choose happens to exactly match the COG of your chosen weapon configuration.

The V 6 does have infinately variable COG adjustment, but it only cuts in at a weight/ COG far too high for most HDV camera systems.

As has been suggested before, I would look at Libec, Sachtler or Miller for a replacement.

CS

Well drat. That's why I'm going to go to New York, I don't want to drop that much money without a lot of touchy feely. Thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid sticks, but I may have to eat it.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I looked at the 503 and 503 HDV when I was in the tripod market about a year and half ago. I selected a Miller model. I was not impressed with either of the 503 heads. Later, the 501 HDV came out, and I felt that was actually a better fit and smoother in operation than the 503 HDV.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Update

Bogen replaced my head, I've not yet had a chance to try it out, but will soon. This replacement came after they fixed it once before.

I did go to New York and visit BH. The visit did not give me any choice for replacing all my tripods etc, which I won't do now.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #23
Major Player

When I first got my 503HDV, I was pretty happy with it. I was using it with a V1. But I loaned it out to a firend and he really cranked down all of the drags. Now it seems like I go from it being too loose to too tight with very little adjustment. I am using Vinten sticks that are for a 100mm ball. I have a 75mm ball and a 75 - 100mm adapter. The sticks resist pan windup a little better than the Manfroto sticks that came with the head. But it still happens. I am not overly thrilled with the Vinten sticks or their Posi-Lock system either. Oh well, still looking for that perfect tripod.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Two "jerky" 503 heads . . .

Last year I purchased two tripods with 503 heads. Both are poor quality -- can't tilt worth a damn without a "bump" due to it sticking. I don't really know why a good brand makes a fluid head which doesn't perform.

I use the Sony HVR-Z7U on the 503's, and the Z7U is a good weight to work well with the tripod.

I hope that the manufacturer comes up with a fix -- and if not, offers a replacement head to their customers that WORKS. What a rip to see folks here selling off their 503 and 503HD's in order to find something that actually works right.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads