Vinton Vision 3 & which of these legs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vinton Vision 3 & which of these legs?

Just purchased the VV3 head which I will be using with the Canon Xl H1. Trying to keep things light as most of my shooting is surfing and mostly in remote locations. I went with the Vinton Vision 3 head per many of the recommendations on this site ( I needed to smooth out the pans over the 503--which hopefully the VV3 will accomplish)

I was looking at either the Miller Solo legs or the Sachtler Speed Lock. It looks like the Speed locks are about 1 lb. lighter. and maybe faster to set up. But I'm just wondering if they are to light for the head.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best solution???

Thanks
Ron Stoecklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ron...........

Hmm, surfing, H1, BIG ZOOM and a Vision X head, huh?

Ditch the Solo's and the Satchlers, unfortunately.

Issues:

1. The Solo's do not perform well with big zooms and HD, too much flex.

2. I believe both Millers AND Satchlers are incompatible with the V X series heads, because of that short stocky head clamp with the 3 lobed handle and ginormous swivel cup.

It limits the head angle adjustment drastically and can stop the legs from closing shut, not to mention the possibilty of shearing the leg hinge pins if the legs are forced with a handle lobe in the way.

The V3 is one great head for a H1, depending on what pimping you have on the camera, a #2 spring might just work straight out of the box.

To protect your investment, I can only suggest you check out the Vinten range of sticks, as to date they are the only ones I know of (I stress, that "I KNOW OF!") that will perform perfectly with all V X series heads.

Check 'em out and let us know what you think.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris-Vinten

As much as I have tried to research things--without hands on its so hard to get things dialed in.

I could have bought the Vinten system when I purchased the head-but was trying to save more weight--guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board--and take a look at the Vinten legs!

My problem is one flying to location--often time I carry all equipment plus my board--any weight savings helps--then on location--I could be shooting from sloping rocks-sand-coral--often moving setup during a shoot and often shooting by myself--weight is always an issue--so its the balance between weight savings and smooth pan and some stability.

Most times I can shoot with the 20x lens-but I also use the ef adapter with the 100-400 (yes its a little soft--but if I need that kind of reach it works okay).

If anyone else has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Vinten Sticks

Hey Chris--so I ordered the Vinten sticks--not sure why I hesitated-as they really dont' weight that much more!

Thanks for your input!!!
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Ron....

Good to hear, I'm sure they'll be great.

Glad to be of service.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hmm, surfing, H1, BIG ZOOM and a Vision X head, huh?

Ditch the Solo's and the Satchlers, unfortunately.

Issues:

1. The Solo's do not perform well with big zooms and HD, too much flex.

2. I believe both Millers AND Satchlers are incompatible with the V X series heads, because of that short stocky head clamp with the 3 lobed handle and ginormous swivel cup.

It limits the head angle adjustment drastically and can stop the legs from closing shut, not to mention the possibilty of shearing the leg hinge pins if the legs are forced with a handle lobe in the way.

The V3 is one great head for a H1, depending on what pimping you have on the camera, a #2 spring might just work straight out of the box.

To protect your investment, I can only suggest you check out the Vinten range of sticks, as to date they are the only ones I know of (I stress, that "I KNOW OF!") that will perform perfectly with all V X series heads.

Check 'em out and let us know what you think.

CS
hi chris,

unfortunately i just took delivery on the Miller Solo VJ legs and the Vinten Vision 3 head. Miller supplied the #378 adaptor from 100mm to 75mm but as you have already pointed out...it doesnt work! i even talked directly with the Miller rep...i would have hoped they would have known their compatibilities with other manufacturers better.

what to do now? i really want the height of the Solo VJ legs. real high and real low. either the Miller legs have to go or the Vinten head. i have the backlash syndrome with this Vision 3 head...even if its not tightened down on the drag. i dont think its the legs either. i was not expecting this on the Vinten.

what head would you suggest if i choose to keep the Miller legs? budget could be up to $2,500 for the head if i had to but prefer to keep it lower. what about the Cartoni Focus? i hear overall good thing but do hear about backlash issues though...any first hand thoughts?

i have an EX-1. its very back heavy.

id appreciate any help!
thanks,
david
www.davidprobst.com
David Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

miller solo vj legs

go with the miller arrow 25 head as it will match perfectly with your vj legs and i have used this exact set up with my hvx200, zacuto base plate and rails, zacuto idx battery adapter and rails, letus 35mm adapter with nikon 300mm and 500mm lenses and neptek hd monitor with arm off the zacuto and it had absolutely no flex problem or backlash with pans total weight 24.5lbs
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Viducich View Post
go with the miller arrow 25 head as it will match perfectly with your vj legs and i have used this exact set up with my hvx200, zacuto base plate and rails, zacuto idx battery adapter and rails, letus 35mm adapter with nikon 300mm and 500mm lenses and neptek hd monitor with arm off the zacuto and it had absolutely no flex problem or backlash with pans total weight 24.5lbs
hi mark,

just this morning i found a post saying that the Bogen 100mm-75mm adaptor bowl works good with the Miller Solo VJ legs to the Vinten Vision 3 head so i already ordered it. if by chance this doesnt work the either the Miller legs or the Vision 3 head will have to go. my main reason for the Miller Solo VJ legs if becuase they go real hi and low as well. probably fit as a carry on for any air travel as well.

i like the Vinten a lot. also, only cost me a little under $1,000. i will know by tuesday if it works or not.

how would you rate your Arrow 25 up against other stuff in that price range? i am using the Sonly EX-1. at this point no other accesories except occasionally a shotgun mic. so, this setup is quite a bit lighter than yours. how do you think it would do on the Arrow 25 being this light?

thanks for your input!
david
www.davidprobst.com
David Probst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads