DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   100mm head on 75mm bowl (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/123837-100mm-head-75mm-bowl.html)

Henry Cho June 15th, 2008 08:38 PM

100mm head on 75mm bowl

i'm going to be doing some field work shortly and was thinking of springing some cash for the miller solo vj carbon fiber tripod for my cartoni focus head. i like that the focus can handle multiple rigs without changing springs, so i'd like to keep the head. just for the sake of trying it out, i threw the head on some cf gitzo legs with a 75mm bowl i already own. the thing seemed to hold ok. i know this isn't ideal, but, honestly, i'll deal with less than ideal to save some coin, especially since i don't anticipate this to go on long term. i've searched for a 100mm to 75mm bowl adapter and can't seem to locate one (only ones going to the other way, which kinda makes sense). does anyone have any experience with this, or know of any adapters in the marketplace that will accommodate this kind of setup? obviously, i'll spring for the miller if this is going to be hazardous to my camera, or my career :). thanks folks.

Chris Soucy June 15th, 2008 10:13 PM

Er, Henry............

really hate to break the bad news, but the Miller VJ does actually come complete with a 100 mm bowl, not a 75 (according to B&H, anyway).

Interestingly, Miller no longer lists the VJ on their web site, so think it's got the chop, tho' still listed at B&H @ $945.

The 100 mm to 75 mm really wasn't such a brilliant idea anyway.

CS

Jack Walker June 15th, 2008 10:23 PM

If you are using Gitzo legs, you problem is probably already solved.

The Gitzo 75mm bowl comes out (loosen the allen screw) and the 100mm bowl drops in. A flat top can also be dropped in.

Here is the 100mm bowl you need:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

The part that is in your Gitzo tripod right now is this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

The Gitzo also allows you to add a column kit if you would like.

The Gitzo is a miracle tripod and will adapt to all needs, with perfect rigidity and stability.

...unless you have an old Gitzo I'm not aware of. What model do you have?

Smashing a 100mm head on a 75mm bowl is not ideal, but it could probably work as a stopgap arrangement.

Jack Walker June 15th, 2008 10:30 PM

One more comment,

It is my opinion thtat the Gitzo series 3 tripod is superior to the Miller, though the two are similar. The Miller handles more weight, but it also weighs a couple more pounds. I am comparing the Miller VJ to the Gitzo 3540XLS. The Miller has a maxium height of 73 inches and closes down to 25 inches while the Gitzo extends to 78 inches and closes down to 27 inches. One reason I like the Gitzo is that the extra bulk and 2 pounds on the Miller makes a difference to me.

In the two Gitzos I have there is absolutely no twist. I have a series 3 xls and use the Gitzo 1380 head on it. I also have a Cartoni Alpha (the one before the focus) with a 100mm head and legs. The Gitzo is much more solid than the Cartoni tripod.

I have not owned a Miller, only looked at them in the store and at shows.

If you alsready have a Gitzo series 3 or higher and you already have the head you want to use, I would highly recommend getting a 100mm bowl for the Gitzo.

Chris Soucy June 16th, 2008 12:38 AM

Wow, Jack..............

This place never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of info members have.

That bit about the Gitzo's having interchangeable bowls is a revelation.

My initial reason for another post was to clarify something I said earlier:

The Solo VJ's would appear to have been re - named, they are now "SOLO ENG 1505" whereas they were "SOLO VJ 1505".

They still have a 100 mm bowl, whatever they're called.

Based on Jacks recomendation tho', I would have to give the Gitzo's the prize here.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Er, Henry, having re - read you're original post yet again, I'm not sure if I understand what, exactly, you were saying. That-

"I'll spring for the Miller if this is going to be hazardous" throws me completely

CS

Henry Cho June 16th, 2008 05:54 AM

coool -- thanks fellas! jack, a big thanks for the link. i'm definitely going to check it out.

chris, sorry if i wasn't clear. i currently have a 100mm head sitting precariously on top of a tripod with a 75mm bowl (that's the potential 'hazardous' i was referring to). i was looking for possible adapters and/or other less-expensive options to avoid plonking down a good wad of cash on a new tripod with a 100mm bowl.

Jack Walker June 22nd, 2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 893639)
If you are using Gitzo legs, you problem is probably already solved.

The Gitzo 75mm bowl comes out (loosen the allen screw) and the 100mm bowl drops in. A flat top can also be dropped in.

I just noticed that the bowl is not held in by an allen screw but rather a bolt with a cap nut. Just loosen the nut to remove the bowl. New Gitzos come with a wrench for this.