Tripod on vibrating floor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 5th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod on vibrating floor

Could anyone suggest a tripod which would work to soften vibration off a floor ? When i film live bands i am often put in a position where the floor isnt very stable and loud music with loads of bass creates a problem.. The flloor can literally shake and it makes it especially difficult to do close zooms because the vibrationis really noticeable...

I have considered just using a heavy tripod designed for a larger camera, but im not sure that would relieve it totally ? Also its hard cause i cant justify spending more than say $700 or so on it.

Appreciate any suggestions.

EDIT: Just realised some other threads about this exist, Sorry for multiple posting.. Still hoping to find a solution
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sanchez View Post
Could anyone suggest a tripod which would work to soften vibration off a floor ? When i film live bands i am often put in a position where the floor isnt very stable and loud music with loads of bass creates a problem...
What about placing the tripod on a platform that is isolated from the floor in some way? Though it's not "on label" use, you might look at Auralex products. I use the Gramma for my guitar speaker cabinet and it works well. So it might work for a tripod...another promising product looked like the Platfeet. These are used as sound isolation platforms for mic stands, floor toms or cymbals, platfeet absorb structural borne resonance before it reaches a microphone...so it might work for a tripod as well.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...n_xpanders.asp
Lee Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sanchez View Post
Could anyone suggest a tripod which would work to soften vibration off a floor ? When i film live bands i am often put in a position where the floor isnt very stable and loud music with loads of bass creates a problem.. The flloor can literally shake and it makes it especially difficult to do close zooms because the vibrationis really noticeable...

I have considered just using a heavy tripod designed for a larger camera, but im not sure that would relieve it totally ? Also its hard cause i cant justify spending more than say $700 or so on it.

Appreciate any suggestions.

EDIT: Just realised some other threads about this exist, Sorry for multiple posting.. Still hoping to find a solution
The easiest solution that I always implement (and did this on Saturday) is to place some foam rubber about 1 - 2" thick under each tripod leg. I was in a crunch Saturday as I didn't bring any with me so someone volunteered to go to the store. They bought a memory foam pillow and brought to me... I cut it down to about 6" squares and then about 2" thick. This memory foam worked great!!! Long story, but we were relocated on the 2 side cameras to stage front (left and right) on the speaker platforms (not planned). Anyways, the foam cured the problem.
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Try closed-cell foam (the kind used in camping mats and seats, that doesn't absorb water)- I've used it for stills work, but not tried it with a video camera. Made little "shoes" for the tripod, with several thicknesses on the "soles".
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Trustee

I've successfully used short lengths of foam pipe lagging (insulation) on the feet of microphone stands for occasions when there was enthusiastic (but unwanted) foot tapping at concerts. It might work well here too.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Major Player

McMaster Carr sells all sorts of vibration isolation components - http://www.mcmaster.com/
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Had that problem on location once, placed the sticks on sandbags.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'll try some foam under the tripods feet and see how i go.. More people have that same suggestions elsewhere also.
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

High density foam should work just dandy. Much lighter than lugging around sandbags! I just pointed out that I used sandbags when this situation cropped up as an improvisational technique.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads