DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   DSR-250 tripod mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/12787-dsr-250-tripod-mount.html)

Jim Anderson August 3rd, 2003 01:39 PM

DSR-250 tripod mount

Howdy all -

Recently purchased a DSR-250 for deposition work. This is only my second camera purchase; I've owned an XL1 since 1998.
I'm sure I'll have many other questions about this camera, but since I don't have a power supply yet, my current bafflement is limited to how to properly mount this monster on a tripod.
I have an ancient bogen 3066 head with a quick-release sliding mounting plate, but this mounts to the camera through just the one mounting screw at the front end of the camera. This works, but doesn't seem steady or well-balanced to me.
The alternative is the VCT-U14 quick-release tripod attachment that was included with the camera. This is a long plate that supports both ends of the camera, but the attachment/release mechanism just doesn't hold the camera really firmly, unless I'm doing something wrong. There's way too much side to side wiggle. How are other people mounting this camera?

New to the "big camera" world -
Jim Anderson aka buzzard-boy
(coming soon - Power Supply Questions!)

John Steele August 4th, 2003 03:07 AM

Hi Jim,

I use a DSR-390 which uses the same tripod adapter plate and I don't seem to have any movement when it's mounted. I take it you're pulling the pin back on the plate then locking in the camera? If the camera doesn't click and lock as it's pushed into the tripod adapter plate then something's not right, it should be very stable.

John.

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 06:28 AM

The plate is the way to go. Very stable when mounted that way. Where is it loose at?

Jim Anderson August 4th, 2003 09:48 AM

Well, maybe I've got a weird unit. The camera is locked down, but there is still (in my view) far too much side to side play, especially in the rear. The rear pin on the plate seems to be spring loaded and has a slot on the top. Should this be adjusted somehow? I can find no instructions or explanation for this device either with the packaging or on Sony's website. I just don't get putting a $1000 (or more) tripod/head under this wobbly mounting plate.

bb

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 10:06 AM

The back of the mounting plate should have a spring loaded clamp. Make sure all the screw are tight. Did you buy this new? If so, contact the dealer.

Jim Anderson August 4th, 2003 03:17 PM

There is a spring loaded stud in the back end of the plate that locks into the small (flimsy looking) bracket on the bottom of the camera. Even when "firmly"locked down, there is nearly 1/16" play in that spring loaded stud. If you tug the camera from side to side, there is an unacceptable (seems to me anyway) degree of wiggle. I would gladly forego the convenience of the quick-release for better stability on sticks. Someone sent me a pdf on an alternative mount called the "Leo system" from bebob, the folks who make the Zoe zoom control that by some accounts is the best of the Lanc controller field. Has anyone seen this mount or have any idea what it retails for?

bb

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 04:00 PM

Jim,

Have you talked to the dealer yet. It is not supposed to be that loose. If you've tighten all the screws and bolts, I'd take it back. Why spend money on replacing something that should work right.

Jim Anderson August 5th, 2003 01:37 PM

re: DSR-250 tripod mount / Bogen 505?

Huh. I responded to you yesterday, Jeff, about getting back to the dealer, but that post disapeared for some reason. Perhaps because I mentioned a few dealers by name (both positively, so I don't get it.)
Anyway, as I was saying, I'll have a chance to stop by a showroom in the next few days to see if this model performs any better on their demos than this particular unit. If it turns out that it's not a design weakness and mine is just defective I'm sure I'll have no problem getting a replacement from my dealer.

On a related subject, anybody tried this camera out on a Bogen/Manfrotto 505?
This is the head with interchangeable springs to counterbalance various camera weights from 2.2 upto 22 lbs.
One of the springs is for an 11 lb. camera, which is the DSR-250 with a normal configuration. Could be an ideal combo, if the head is any good otherwise...and if I can get the danged thing mounted properly (grrr)

bb

Jacques Mersereau August 5th, 2003 02:30 PM

Hey Jim "buzzard boy" Anderson!

I was wondering if it was you from the ol' DV-L list.
Once I saw the buzzard and the XL1 ownership, I knew it had to be you.

Welcome to the best place on the net these days . . . dvinfo.net

The Bogan heads (3066head/3046sticks) become loose
when the center bolt starts to unthread. (I think this is your issue.)
You'll need a THIN (almost flat) wrench to slip in
there and tighten it up. Don't worry, it will always come loose again ;(

Don't tighten it too much and you'll never get a smooth pan.

Jacques aka jmerser

Jacques Mersereau August 5th, 2003 02:39 PM

Hey Jim "buzzard boy" Anderson!

I was wondering if it was you from the ol' DV-L list.
Once I saw the buzzard and the XL1 ownership, I knew it had to be you.

Welcome to the best place on the net these days . . . dvinfo.net

The Bogan cheap heads (3046) become loose when the center bolt
starts to unthread. You'll need a THIN (almost flat) wrench to slip in
there and tighten it up. Don't worry, it will always come loose again ;(

Tighten it too much and you'll never get a smooth pan . . . maybe not
anyway (sorry to say).

You may need to think about upgrading into something new.

Jacques aka jmerser

Jim Anderson August 5th, 2003 04:26 PM

Yes Jacques, it's me, buzzard-boy. Howdy from the Roost.
No, my 3066 is ancient and needs a rebuild (a few rough spots) but that's not the issue. (BTW, I got the 3066 from an ad in the S.F. Chronicle along with a set of 3246 sticks for about $200 right after I got my XL1 in '98. Geared center column, no bowl level, and heavy as *&#@. Way overkill for the XL1, and levelling it is really a pain, but the center column has helped a lot on many a crowded club shoot. Is rambling acceptable in this forum...?)
The issue at hand is the Sony VCT-U14 quick-release tripod attachment (or "attache pour trepied"). The one that came with my DSR-250 just doesn't seem to make a really rock solid base. I hope tomorrow to get into a showroom downtown and inspect a floor model. Perhaps mine's defective, but the whole design just don't seem like quite the thing, if you know what I mean.
I don't want to lug the 3066/3246 to depositions and I'm looking at a 505 head w/3283B sticks. Still hoping to find someone who's tried this rig out with the DSR-250

bb

p.s. Jacques, I may have to sell my XL1 (choke)(sob) If interested contact me. I'd like my baby to go to a good home. (buzzard-boy@comcast.net) I've seen reports that the new model doesn't match the awesome sound handling of the original. At least that's the buzz I want to spread before I put mine on ebay!