DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Source for Used Tripods? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/136354-source-used-tripods.html)

John Richard October 20th, 2008 04:56 PM

Source for Used Tripods?

We've an S-Type Jib that is just overwhelming our strongest current 100MM Miller Tripod (having to cable tie all the joints to keep them from sliding with the load is not only a PITA, but is dangerous).

Looking to find a 150lb plus payload used 100mm tripod like a Cartoni HD series or similar with a positive lever lock that won't slip or be easily disengaged.

Can't seem to find a good source.

Chris Soucy October 20th, 2008 05:33 PM

HI John............

Best I can offer is a set of Manfrotto 528XB's.

Designed for just such a task and may indeed be avaiable S/H.

In fact, here's one I prepared earlier..........

FS: Manfrotto 528XB Heavy Duty Tripod with Kessler Hercules 1.0 Head - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

CS

Steve Phillipps October 21st, 2008 01:05 AM

Arriflex & Angenieux to Zeiss & ZGC Visual Products sells Used Motion Picture Equipment usually has used tripods, look for heavy duty Ronford Baker set, they'll hold an elephant.
Steve

John Richard October 21st, 2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 953509)
Best I can offer is a set of Manfrotto 528XB's.

Designed for just such a task and may indeed be avaiable S/H.

In fact, here's one I prepared earlier..........

FS: Manfrotto 528XB Heavy Duty Tripod with Kessler Hercules 1.0 Head - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

CS

Chris:

Finding conflicting info on the payload capacity. Some sites like B&H and Adorama show the payload to be only 66lbs.
Others show the payload to be 110lbs.
Foreign sites show 50kg which converts over to 110lbs.

I think it has a 110lb capacity. Is that what your data shows?

Chris Soucy October 21st, 2008 04:01 PM

Hi...............

yeah, those figures are a bit confusing, aren't they?

In "non USA" zones they are rated for 110 lbs, tho' that is waaaaay conservative, 'cos Manfrotto knows only too well most users will exceed "rated" limit by anything up to 300%++!!

The even more conservative USA figure is to stop those nasty law suit thingies when someone does the 300% trick++ and it all goes horribly wrong (as it tends to do when fully loaded tripod is mounted on rails and hits solid object across same with said 300%+++ on board!).

The great thing about the 528's (never shown on any piccies, even on the Manfrotto web site, go figure) is the leg locking pins. These are tethered to the bottom of the upper leg sleeve on a length of steel cable.

Raise tripod to required height, slip the locking leg pins into the appropriate hole in lower leg, lower tripod so upper leg sleeve is sitting across locking pins.

Given that the shear strength of a 6 inch nail is approx. 1/2 TON, you can guess at the force required to shear those pins - they're about as thick as a pencil!

CS

Chris Soucy October 27th, 2008 12:16 AM

John...................

Any feedback on this topic?

CS

Brian Drysdale October 27th, 2008 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 955983)
Any feedback on this topic?

CS

Engineers build safety margins into everything they design. I don't think anyone would seriously put a 110lb camera onto that Manfrotto.

Mitchell BNCR

If you're planning on 150lb weights you're into at the very least a 150mm bowl tripod, especially if using a jib. In practise I'd go for a Mitchell mount. Visual Products sell this type of kit second hand.

I've had a 60lb jib setup on a 100mm bowl and it was pretty unstable.