DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachtler FSB 6 or FSB 6T? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/136389-sachtler-fsb-6-fsb-6t.html)

Bill Spence October 21st, 2008 11:31 AM

Sachtler FSB 6 or FSB 6T?

I am going to be buying a Carbon Fiber Sachtler tonight and am getting it with the FSB 6 head. But they offer the it in two models of the same head, the FSB 6 and the FSB 6T. I have looked on Sachtler's website and the heads are so similar that I can't tell the difference. The FSB 6T seems to have the same plate on it that the DV6 and DV8 have, and the plate on the FSB 6 is a little different. At B&H, the FSB 6 is $200 more expensive than the FSB 6T. Anyway, does anyone know which is better and why the differences? Thanks.

Mike Beckett October 21st, 2008 12:07 PM

Hey Bill,

I have the bigger DV6 SB. It comes with the Touch and Go plate (same as the FSB6 T model). I use it with a Sony V1.

The T plate I have is the same as this one: http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id...exp_pid=538#34

T Model: (Touch & Go)
Plus: small camera plate on the bottom, great for handheld, it doesn't get in the way
Minus: smaller counterbalance range, only 6cm.
Minus: adjusts backwards more than forwards, I would like more forward adjustment!

Non-T model: (Snap & Go, I think it's called)
Plus: Much bigger sliding range, 12cm, better adjustment
Minus: much bigger plate stuck to the bottom of the camera if you're handheld.

I think that's the main differences. I'm glad I have the smaller plate for going handheld, I wouldn't swap.

Bill Spence October 21st, 2008 12:17 PM

Thanks Mike, that is exactly what I needed to know. I will probably get the FSB 6T tonight.

Bill Spence October 21st, 2008 02:56 PM

Does anybody know if the Sachtler carbon fiber sticks are any good, anywhere close to the Miller solo legs in quality

Mike Beckett October 22nd, 2008 01:56 AM

Bill,

I can't compare to Miller, but I have the Sachtler 75CF sticks and they are great. Real quick to set up, just one lever on each side that releases both sections - it's at waist height, so there's no crawling round the ground trying to release the second stage of the tripod like I had with my Vinten.

I have the mid spreader on this tripod, because most of my work is off-road. The big red feet are great, and the mid spreader, while it appears flimsy, actually does a pretty good job. The spreader can also be adjusted to spread the legs further apart, useful to get a bit lower or that little bit more stable.

It's reasonably light - (2kg or 4.2lb) but the DV6SB head adds a few more kg to that. The legs are pretty solid and give a good height. I have to stand on tip-toes at maximum height (I'm 6 feet tall) to be on eye level with the viewfinder.

I've used Libec (tiny legs and big legs!) and Vinten Pozilocs aluminium legs in the past, and the 75CF knock them all for six. Sure, if I spent another $2000 or more I could get better legs, but for the $2000-ish range, these are pretty hard to beat (in my opinion).

Bill Spence October 24th, 2008 07:34 PM

Bought them yesterday Mike. I will report back in early Nov. to give everyone my impression of the Sachtler FSB-6T head with carbon fiber legs.

Mike Beckett October 25th, 2008 01:13 AM

Bill,

I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. I never thought I could be in love with an inanimate object, but then I discovered Sachtler!!

Erick Calderon February 14th, 2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Spence (Post 955311)
Bought them yesterday Mike. I will report back in early Nov. to give everyone my impression of the Sachtler FSB-6T head with carbon fiber legs.

I'm getting that set up as well, should be here next week. Could you report on your experience?

Erick Calderon February 25th, 2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Calderon (Post 1012172)
I'm getting that set up as well, should be here next week. Could you report on your experience?

So, after some time of research I decided to go with the Sachtler DV6 and carbon fiber legs. Paid about $2100 USD. The thing is so much lighter than the ENG tripods I've used in the past. The thing weights almost the same as the aluminum sticks but they claim that the carbon fiber doesn't have torsion like the aluminum so my pans and tilts are smoother. I love the thing, it's a lot of money considering you can get a high def camera for the same price but there isn't any other alternative on the market. I use it with a Letus Extreme and constantly change lenses so I have to adjust to counterbalance constantly and the CB (counter balance) knob is there, I only move a dial and in seconds I have a perfect counterbalance. I admire this thing, is great.

Douglas Call March 8th, 2010 05:52 AM

I was wondering what the advantages are of the FSB 6 over the FSB 4. Obviously the weight capacity is greater but with the lenses I use on my Canon 5DMkII, I wouldn't need more than 5lb capacity. So I was considering getting the Sachtler 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System

Sachtler | 0375 FSB-4 Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0375 | B&H

instead of the FSB 6. But I'm detecting that there was a good reason why you guys selected the extra capacity of the FSB 6. Is it because you put all the different Red Rock accessories on the 5DMkII and this increases the weight a lot?

If you do use Red Rock gear why not Zacuto or someone else for that matter.

Mike Beckett March 8th, 2010 07:05 AM

Douglas,

The FSB-4 wasn't around in 2008 when this thread started. If the 4 will cope with your max payload, then it should be fine.

Melvin Baggs March 8th, 2010 10:33 AM

Hi Douglas,
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but when purchasing my Vinten CF legs I took the following advice from Chris Soucy which would apply to all CF legs;

"Go for a set of Vinten sticks (a), preferably 2 stage (3 section) (b), CF (c) if you can find the ponies and a 100 mm bowl if possible (d). Oh, and a mid level spreader (e).

(a) the Vinten clamp knob is pretty chunky and can cause problems on some makes of non Vinten sticks. Unless you're hard into Russion Roulette with your wallet, stick to Vinten. Besides, they make pretty good sticks.

(b) 2 stage, three section gives a smaller knocked down size at the expense of a bit of extra weight and also allows the minimum set height to be lower.

(c) CF is more rigid than aluminium and is significantly better at soaking up vibration. Of course, it puts a bigger hole in said wallet.

(d) A 100 mm bowl tripod is inherantly stronger and thus more rigid than a 75 mm bowl unit. A simple Vinten 100 mm to 75 mm adapter is all that's required to use a V 3 AS on a 100 mm tripod.

In addition, whilst you can put a 75 mm head on a 100 mm tripod bowl, you can't put a 100 mm head on a 75................. (you never do know what's going to happen down the track!).

(e) A floor level spreader really only works on a floor, it's useless out in the wild, on grass or any other non flat surface.

A mid level spreader offers more support to the leg centre sections where most of the twist (non leg/ head interface twist, that is) comes from.

The Vinten "Spread Loc" mid level spreader that comes standard (in the kits, not with bare sticks) includes a set of rubber soled feet to stop those foot spikes damageing delicate flooring materials.

If you find you do need/ want a floor spreader down the track, buy a cheap Manfrotto unit, as they fit the Vinten spiked feet and will save you a bomb, else buy a dolly with lockable wheels, same thing just easier to move around."

Melvin