Miller Solo DV Tripods - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The DS10 does not have the precisely calibrated drag adjustments that other, more expensive, heads feature. Twist to taste.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Very interesting - I was wondering where the Miller's price would show its true colors because I do like how fluid the pans and tilts are; guess the drag system isn't up to par.

Just to clarify then, can you tell the difference between when the drag is off and when it is set to the middle position for example? My impression is that there are really only 2 settings for the Miller, free and tight. The tilt is even less defined. Would you agree?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #18

Not exactly, but not completely wrong either. I generally get one intermediate setting.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #19
Major Player

Are the Bogen heads the same in this regard?
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #20

Can't say, as I've never used the 501 or 503. I'm sure someone will reply, as they are very popular.

Old September 9th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Spoke with Miller support recently and all I can say is that I feel very comfortable with that company. The people I spoke to were knowledgeable and helpful, over both the phone and email.

I am going to continue testing the drag out since it is very subtle, but it is good to know that Miller is genuinely good for the entire 3 year warranty.

Thought I'd let people know in case they are considering a Miller tripod.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Legs aside, do you think getting a Vinten Vision 3 head over a Miller DS-10 is worth it, or very little difference?
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM   #23
Warden

Vinten takes the perfornace to a whole other level. No comparison in my book.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:20 PM   #24

As an owner of both I have to admit that Vinten wins the honors (as Jeff has long asserted). The Miller is a good tool. The Vision 3 is a precise instrument.

Old October 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #25
Tourist

The Great Thread Revival of 2004

Ok, is this one of those questions so basic I am just missing it altogether. I have a GL-2, will I be able to easily attach it to the DS-5. Miller says the DS-5 comes with "Quick release plate: 1/4" Screw and Pin". The DS-10 comes with "Camera plate choice: 1/4" & 3/8" or 1/4" & pin" I looked in my GL-2 manual and it only warns about the tripod screw being no longer than 1/4 inch.

Question 2:
Ken (if you're out there), I have a GL2 and am debating the DS-5 or DS-10. You said in this thread that the DS-10 is just a bit much for the GL-2 and you might have gone with the DS-5 for your GL-2. My only concern is if I add the mic, light and all, that oh crap, the DS-5 can't handle the weight now. Looks like GL-2 with BP-915 is 2 lbs 10 oz or so. Is this a valid concern. Is that 5 LB limit an absolute max weight.

Thanks so much!
Matt Desmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #26

Hello Matt and Welcome,
I've never used the DS-5 but I suspect it would be just fine for the GL2. I know that Boyd O. has one for his PDX-10 and loves it.

If you have the additional budget headroom, I'd be inclined to opt for the DS-10. I believe it will afford you just a bit more latitude with respect to load and adjustability for a slightly heavier GL2. The DS-10 tends my rig-of-choice when using the GL2 in casual situations when I really just want simplicity.

If I recall correctly, the DS-10's base plate ships with two sets of screws. One set, consisting of two separate screws, is meant for use with full-sized professional ENG cameras which require two screws to be locked down. The other set consists of a single screw mated, via a plastic collar, to a locking pin. This set fits perfectly into the GL2 (and other consumer/prosumer cameras).

Have fun!

Old October 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #27
Old Boot

London Calling!

Hello Ken,

Doing the Community and Event stuff I do, I'm looking at a ligher tripod than my Mannif, which is spectacular for dolly work, but far too heavy for the other work. I'm now feeling the limitations of the Velbon I orignally got, and want that extra "bite" when it comes to stability and secure knowledge of a steady shot.

This is the Miller I'm looking at: http://www.millertripods.com/product...&productID=79#

This appears to be the same set up as you use with the XM2 - yes?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #28

Yes, that's it exactly Grazie.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads