DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Help me choose between a Davis&Sanford and a Matthews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/140944-help-me-choose-between-davis-sanford-matthews.html)

Sebastian Alvarez January 5th, 2009 04:50 PM

Help me choose between a Davis&Sanford and a Matthews

Here are my two choices:

Matthews | M25 Tripod System | M25 | B&H Photo Video

Davis & Sanford | Pro Vista Tripod with FM 18 | PROVISTA7518B

This is for a Sony HVR-HD1000U, which weighs 6 lbs and has a heavy back, I suppose mostly because of the large battery. My main concern is how fluid the head is. I don't want sudden jumps or bounce, which happens to me with a Velbon head I have. I plan on buying either of them this week, so if anybody has experience with these two, or at least the brands, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Adam Gold January 5th, 2009 06:57 PM

As I mentioned on your other thread -- but for the benefit of anyone else with similar questions -- I like the Provista a lot and have two of them... but I only use them for my FX7s, which are about half the size and weight of my HD1000.

Frankly, I really believe these are both too small for the HD1000.

Sebastian Alvarez January 5th, 2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 989545)
Frankly, I really believe these are both too small for the HD1000.

Which would be the cheapest tripod (or separate legs and head) you would recommend for the HD1000 that has decent fluid motion?

Adam Gold January 5th, 2009 11:43 PM

Here's the setup I use for my FX1s, which performed okay with the HD1000:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 028B Tripod Legs (Black) with 503HDV Head

Bogen / Manfrotto | Bogen/Manfrotto 523PRO Professional | 523PRO

Bogen / Manfrotto | 438 Compact Levelling Head - Ball | 438

The model numbers and prices have changed since I got my rigs, but the equipment looks basically the same. It's way more than you said you wanted to spend, but I just don't feel comfortable using anything lighter for that beast of a cam, the HD1000.

I thought it was unconscionably expensive when I bought it, only to have the real pros around here call this rig a "toy." I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

Note that if you want to move the stock pan bar to the left side and use the head as a two-handled rig with the LANC controller on the right, you'll need to call Bogen in NJ and get some extra fitting hardware that doesn't come with the 523Pro.

Sebastian Alvarez January 6th, 2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 989664)
It's way more than you said you wanted to spend, but I just don't feel comfortable using anything lighter for that beast of a cam, the HD1000.

Indeed. The price is out of the question for me now but I'll keep the models you gave me at hand so I can look it up in the future when hopefully I'm able to afford it.