Head & Sticks Mix 'n Match at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 10th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Head & Sticks Mix 'n Match

Who else has customized their tripods? I'm leaning towards a Vinten head, and Miller sticks w/ midspreader. I think Vinten's $700 mid spreader price is beyond rediculous, and you must buy it seperately (no kits with the mid). So to save a chunk of change, customizing it sounds like a good idea.

I'm assuming all 75mm bowls are made equal? That's my only concern, I mean it's just a ring the head sits/clamps on to, right?
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #2
Warden

You shouldn't have any problem combining different parts. The reason it's not done more often is that many models get a kit price. Buying parts separately may add slightly to the overall cost. However, you get a system that may better suit your needs and budget.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes Jeff, there's discounted pricing when buying the complete kit, but I can't believe Vinten would sell their mid spreaders for that price. I think I'm saving a lot of $ going the customized route in this case.
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Warden

I would think so too, Andrew. $700 is an extreme amount in my opinion. Your better off doing what your doing.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Andrew, let us know when you get your tripod, that's a good idea I've given little thought to - I might follow in your steps now that you've brought it up...

Another small caveat to the custom route is that you have to also purchase a tripod bag/case seperately since most good packages include one.

Should still be cheaper than the full $2000 Vinten system's cost in the end though...
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Bogen 503.....

head combined with manetti legs is the route I'm exploring at the moment. Like the manetti legs - a lot like Libec.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads