Very new: question regarding tripods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Very new: question regarding tripods

Hi all,

Just opened the box to my XM2 about 20 mins ago. Obviously very excited although a little daunted by the fact I know zip about shooting video presently.

I have a question regarding tripods. I have conducted a search in the forum but can't find the answer to my particular question. What is the difference between fluid-head tripods and ball and socket type? How does one affect the shooting over the other, or is it a simple "fluid head are always better" type answer? It seems that tripods are technology all of their own and I'm trying to work out what type I need for the shooting I intend to do (family and wildlife - some would say the two are related).

Also, does anyone know an online retailer in the uk who sells the kind of tripod I should use with the XM2 (I don't want to spend the Earth if I can help it)?

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Lloyd,

Fluid heads use fluid to dampen the movement of the head in the pan and tilt axis's. The result is much smoother starts and stops to any movement of the head. It's used in all mid level and up heads. While it's tempting to save some money in this area and not go for a good head, you'll probably end up regretting it in the future as your skills and projects progress.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. I wondered if the dampened head restricted the speed at which I could pan? For example, say I was shooting some birds landing and taking off from a lake, would I be likely to have problems keeping up with the speed of the action?

Take your point regarding the price. If a fluid head is the way to go then that's what I'll go with.
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Lloyd,

Dampening shouldn't restrict your speed, just make the starts and stops much smoother. The speed of a pan/tilt is restricted using the "drag" adjustments that are built into the heads. Very light drag = very fast movement with little effort.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks muchly for the clarification. I just read another thread lower down regarding the Miller tripods, which helped me too. Looks as though I need something akin to the DS5 although I dread to imagine the cost. :)
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads