Vinten+Miller combo advice sought at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Vinten+Miller combo advice sought

Hi everyone:
I have been wrestling with which tripod to buy for altogether too long and am now considering a Vinten head with Miller DV-10 legs. Camera: I am also wrestling with a decision on this--possibly the JVC HD200U. But I am confused. I like the Miller legs because I am often on uneven terrain and don't require a spreader and I need something light. But am not quite convinced by the Miller head. I thought about Cartoni for a long time too...anyway I am stuck and could sure use some advice. If you want to weigh in on the camera too I am happy to hear your input. Need lightweight, portable, relatively low cost. Thanks.
J.L. Perlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi J.L...........................

The design of Vinten heads in general, and the bowl clamp knobs in particular, pretty well rules out using them with another make of tripod.

If you want a Vinten head, you're pretty well stuck with a Vinten tripod.

There may be exceptions to this but I know of none.

Having said that, the Vinten tripod range is extensive and not to be overlooked, especially for HD camera support.

If you're not shooting HD at the moment, the combination of HD resolution and long zoom lenses taxes anything but the best camera support systems way beyond their abilities.

"relatively low cost" for HD ain't cheap. Neither is it "lightweight and portable".

If you're lashing out $6k + for your camera, you should be looking at spending $2k and up for a support system (at least).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks + vinten model?

Thanks for your response.
The camera I am looking at (JVCHD200U) is about $4000. I wonder if you can advise which Vinten model to consider? Is there one lightweight enough for me to carry it everywhere? Robust enough to travel a lot? I get overwhelmed and of course have reservations about spending the $ on something that is wrong for my needs. Portablity is key.
Thanks for your consideration
Jenny
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well........

Check out the (new) Vinten web site for these:

3773 - 3 CF sticks @ 4.9 lbs (100 mm bowl)

Vision 3 head -@ 5.1 lbs (75 ball with 100 to 75 mm reducer).

If you can wait till NAB I can go one better than the above (shhh,I've been sworn to secrecy, so you'll just have to wait).

CS
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
New Boot

I use a Vision 3 head mounted to Miller Solo CF legs on a daily basis and it works unreal. I shoot this setup with an XLH1 and HVX200a with 2x all the time. Legs are super light, relatively solid. The head is noticeable heavier than say a Miller DS10/20. Vinten head is super smooth.
Elliot Leboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I use a vinten vision 6 on manfroto legs, 525's If I recall, and I also use them on my gitzo legs (no spreader and are darn solid too)

I pesonally would like some carbon solo legs for this head.

The nut on the cinten is not a vertical handle like so many others and you may find it awkward perhaps. I personally do not seem to have trouble.

I think miller heads are fine, I have an old one and it still works, I just needed one for more weight.

It all boils down to the busks you have in hand!!
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #7
New Boot

thanks!

Thanks for your input and Chris, yes, I can wait until after NAB so please keep me posted!!
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
New Boot

2 more questions

Chris,
I read your amazing review of the Vinten tripod. More questions re: the one you recommended to me: Do I need sticks that support 55 lb? and if i go with the vinten vision 3 head which looks so amazing, what spring should i order it with? i am planning on getting a JVC camera that weighs about 7 lb. and none of my other cameras weigh more than that.
thanks again for your input. And yes, again, I can wait until after NAB when even more advice will be oh so useful!
JLP
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Ok.................

The weight a tripod can support is really a measure of it's rigidity (or should be).

For HD it's really that rigidty that is so important. Anything less than a 55 lb rated tripod just really won't cut it, to my mind.

For the Vision 3, with a JVC 200U (which is over 8 lbs naked, and that's before pimping - a big battery system and hard drive will add at least 2 - 3 more lbs) a #2 spring will be too low, I reckon a #3, tho' Vinten will gladly recommend the correct spring.

Tho' I have to say that "the correct spring" is a bit of a misnomer.

The true "perfect balance" weight for a specific COG with the changeable spring system is quite a small band.

To make that a bit clearer:

The weight of camera a spring will perfectly counterbalance is given for a specific COG (centre of gravity) distance ABOVE the head pivot point.

For a Vinten #2 spring, the Canon XH A1 weight is theoretically perfect, but it's COG is so low that the spring is way too strong. In order to get my A1 to balance perfectly with a #2 I have to add a shed load of stuff (wireless receiver, big shotgun, Rycote dead cat etc) to get it perfect.

So, although a #3 may sound perfect for your JVC, it all depends just where the COG of that camera is.

However, after NAB there may well be a solution to this perenial problem, tho' not without gocha's of it's own.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!

CS

PS: Thank you for the comment about the FiberTec review. There should be another, fairly pertinent to your situation, and of great interest to a lot of DVinfo'ers, in the week preceeding NAB. I've just got to get around to writing it.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 31st, 2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: +
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks!

Looking forward to your new review...and more excellent advice!
Thanks all
JP
J.L. Perlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads