Sticks for VX2000 Followup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 15th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #1
Wrangler

Sticks for VX2000 Followup

After much research, looking for a good travel tripod setup for my VX2000, I wound up with an all-Bogen/Manfrotto setup. I got 3444D legs and a 700RC2 mini fluid video head. The combination weighs less than 5 pounds. The legs are carbon-fiber, with quick-release leg-locks and 4 sections, which makes setup quick and easy. Fully extend, the tripod is completely rigid and easily supports my VX2000 with an Optex wide angle lens on the front and a 960 battery on the back. The head has a standard quick release and nice fluid movement for pans and tilts. The sticks are, of course, black, as is the head, so the rig even looks "cool."

Total cost came to about $425. I got the head from B&H and the legs from an outfit called Digital Foto Discount Club. I was a little leery about the latter (found them on Yahoo), but they shipped promptly and offered a price nearly $50 below B&H. In "reselleratings.com-speak," I'd order from them again.

If you're looking for solid, but light-weight, sticks that are a good match to the VX2000 (or, I imagine the XL1), you might want to consider the 3444D and 700RC2.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #2
New Boot

Sounds good, Paul. I'm looking at the 700RC2 myself (for a current Elura and a prospective GL-2) - let us know how it handles over time.

I notice that the 700 costs as much as the 3130/128 even though its payload rating is lower. Is the 700 design more advanced? I suppose it has the advantage of levers rather than twist knobs, and it's a newer model.

Have fun.
Andrew Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

The 700RC2 looks like a small 3130. It uses a different quick release which, I think, is a little more awkward -- you have to loosen a locking knbo, then depress the quick release lever and slide the plate out. I'm not sure I'd call that an advance. The fluid action is nice and smooth. To me, it feels better than the 3130, but that may be because I'm not using a heavy enough camera. It's primary advantage, though, as far as I'm concerned, is it weighs less than half as much as a 3130.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads