Good Sachtler in $800 range? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Good Sachtler in $800 range?

Hi,
I did a search for "Sachtler" in this forum and only came up with a few usable answers.

But, I still would like to know what would be the best Sachtler tripod kit to get in the $800 range. It was only a few months ago when I purchased my first Bogen kit (3011N/501) for my DVX100...and I have already outgrown it.

I want something heavy. I want something better at panning, and I want something that won't budge so much in windy conditions. I am also not concerned about portability, but it would be nice to have a leveling ball (I think this is only reserved for $1000+ tripods?).

I am currently looking at this. What do you think? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

So, what would be the tripod for me? Feel free to convince me of any other brands besides Sachtler.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:38 PM   #2
Trustee

You might want to check out the Miller DS5 @ $799 from B&H. Both Miller and Sachler are great tripods and both are suited for the DVX in basic configuration. I guess it's difficult to try them both out where you are but if you can it'd be a good idea.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Adrian,
Thanks for your suggestion. I went to the Miller homepage and they had a feature that gives you tripod suggestions based on your type of camera and brand.

Anyways, I noticed a lot of these come with a "ground spreader". Can you tell me a little more about this? Wouldn't it be hard to use a ground spreader on a bunch of rocks or unlevel terrain? What's the benefit of a ground spreader?

Also, am I right in thinking that most sub-$1000 tripods do not have a leveling ball? What is a "tilt counterbalance system"?

Update: Looks like I am going to shoot for the Miller DS-5 SOLO.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads