Libec LS-35 is overkill for a 4lb camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Libec LS-35 is overkill for a 4lb camera?

Hi all,
I agree that a good tripod is probably one of the most important accessories one can buy for their digital camera. I have a DVX100 which weights about 4lbs (according to the manual). I was looking at getting the Miller DS-5, but after some research and speaking with other videographers, while it iS a good tripod, it is just way overpriced.

So, I have scaled back my tripod considerations to a Libec LS-35. But, the specs say that this tripod supports up to 18lbs! Is that too much for my DVX100? The lighter tripod kit (LS-20) is a mere 180$....and I feel that this may be one of those "walmart" tripods that just plain suck.

I have $500 to spend, what should I get?
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

You will regret the Libec 20. It is an entry level device that is a bit sloppy for pans and tilts. Especially pans.

I disagree that a Miller or other quality tripod/head setup is overkill or not necessary. Unless you set up your tripod and lock all the movements.

If you ever have to follow the action of a play or a car race, you will appreciate the control a quality tripod provides.

There truly is a reason they cost so much.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 04:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Mike,
Thanks for writing. I am not sure if I follow you, though. I wasn't planning to get the Libec 20, but rather, the Libec LS-35. And I never said that the Miller was overkill, i did say that I wondered if the Libec LS-25 was overkill.

Hope I didn't sound rude there, just wanted to point out that you didn't answer my question about the Libec LS-35:)
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

With a counterweight set for a camera up to 18 pounds, when you release the tripod handle after tilting the camera down, it will very likely bring the camera nearly level.

So you either have to add weight to make the head work correctly or select a tripod head that has the correctly sized counterbalance springs or can be equipped with springs of the proper size.

I've not used the 35 but if the 20 is any indication, their 18 pounds capacity is optimistic.

You've chosen an upper limit that falls in between the best of the not-so-good products and the lower end of the pro products. Miller, for example, makes a tripod system at $800 (B&H) that will do exactly what you want (DS-5). Sachtler makes one for $600 (DV-1) that is also in the ball park.

But you really need to get your hands on the units to try them before you buy if at all possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads