DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   OT: Good tripod that won't bankrupt me! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/16754-ot-good-tripod-wont-bankrupt-me.html)

Jason Casey November 6th, 2003 11:06 AM

OT: Good tripod that won't bankrupt me!

Anybody have some suggestions on a good tripod for the GL2 that won't cost a lot?? Something under $200 would be perfect. Fluid head would be nice, and the height is very important, needs to be able to extend to 6 feet or higher as I usually shoot in clubs and I need to get over peoples heads. I've been looking at the Bogen but they are just way too expensive. Any other brands or models that are good?

Richard Lewis November 6th, 2003 02:09 PM

I can’t really help, I use the Manfrotto "Bogen" 525MV legs and 503 head.
At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, so I guess the second hand market is probably your best bet.
Or your ganna have to find some more money, especially if you want a descent fluid head.

You could get the 501 head and some cheaper s/h legs. (75mm bowl for bet performance levelling)

Jeff Donald November 6th, 2003 02:31 PM

Search this forum for Libec 20 and you'll find many references to it and many recommendations also.

Jason Chang November 7th, 2003 09:14 PM

Tripod

I've owned a Bogen for my Canon XL1.....absolutely hated it. The Velbon tripod I got later is a lot better than the expensive Bogen. Check out the Velbon website for their professional video tripods.

Richard Lewis November 9th, 2003 12:59 PM

I love mine :P

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 9th, 2003 01:23 PM

Hi Jason,

I am currently looking for a tripod for my XL1. Could you tell me which is the model in the velbon line which you recommend?

Paul Mogg November 9th, 2003 03:16 PM

A good fluid head will cost you more than a GL2 costs. One that will give you really professional smooth movements even when fully zoomed in, without any "sticking" at the start and stop of a pan or tilt, and smooth, equalized drag, both horizontally and vertically. That's just the way it is with heads, good ones cost a lot of money because they're well engineered. I put up with a Bogen 3066 for ages, convicing myself it was good, until I tried a Sachtler, the difference is worlds apart, and will make a huge difference to the quality of your work, so just bite the bullet and invest. I had a tough time making this decision, but am very glad I finally did.

Jason Chang November 9th, 2003 03:28 PM

Velbon

Velbon D-600 is a good tripod. For even less money, you can get a velbon Videomate 607.
You will be disappointed with either of them. They are light-weight and yet offer smooth pan and tilt action.

You should not be spending so much money on a tripod unless you are making big bucks....I know I am not. Good luck!

Steve Nunez November 9th, 2003 04:27 PM

Bogen Manfrotto 3221 is a nice tripod for the $$$- I believe around $200

Jason Chang November 9th, 2003 05:44 PM

Steve is right. But you are doing a lot of live events, a lighter tripod may be easier to move around.

Stephen Sobel November 9th, 2003 07:21 PM

Another option is the Libec M20. I got mine from B&H for a reasonable price.

Dave Largent November 10th, 2003 05:15 AM

I plan on getting the Bogen 3058 legs. Goes 9 feet high if needed
to shoot over peoples' heads.

Graham Bernard November 10th, 2003 05:31 AM

9 feet high eh?

How are you gonna focus and see at that distance? Sounds like you'll be needing a separate lcd screen to "see" what you're filming? More money . . ..

Grazie

Dave Largent November 10th, 2003 07:04 AM

Ya, Graham. I haven't got all the details worked out yet. Not sure how a ladder would work out. When the spec was given as to max height, I had to get out a calculator to convert the inches to feet. Minimum height is 21 inches. It goes 8 1/2 feet *without* the center column extended! Now that's a tripod.

Dave Largent November 11th, 2003 12:14 AM

So I got to thinking more about Grazie's question about how really am I gonna operate that thing. Good question. When it's
at the 9 feet, I'm gonna need to be able to zoom, tilt, and pan about 180 degrees, sometimes all at the same time. I didn't think it all the way through before I made the purchase. I just had some vague idea about getting a couple 5 foot ladders and walking around from one to the other as I panned. But then I got to thinking: 5 feet is pretty high to be up off the ground and to be stepping from ladder to ladder without even being able to
see where I'm stepping. So here's the new plan. I just happened to have ordered a Lanc controler the same time as the
"monster pod". So maybe I'll go get a 6 foot length of copper
tubing, put it over the handle of the head and duct tape it in place. Then I'll fasten the Lanc contoller to the other end of the
tubing. Now, I had had plans to buy a 5" or 7" color TV to use as
an inexpensive field monitor. But maybe instead I'll get one of those handheld TVs with a 3" screen and electrical tape it to the
copper tube right above the Lanc controller. Ya. (Anyone know if Lanc wire is any special type of wire or can I get that at Radio Shack.) The controller comes with about 3 feet attached; figure I'll need about a 6 foot extension. .... And the monster pod *is* rated for 44 pounds capacity. Now if I got a Cobra crane with a 8 foot jib arm I bet that tripod would support that; I could operate it sitting on top of a 10 foot ladder ....... Uh, I think need to get some rest!