Tried Out A Couple Tripods--One Good, One Not So Good - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old July 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #16
Fred Retread

Re: Tried Out A Couple Tripods--One Good, One Not So Good

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : Not so good tripod: Sony VCT-870RM...The worst part of the tripod is the way the quick release plate attaches to the cam. There's very poor design here. Instead of using your fingers or a coin to turn the bolt in, you actually turn the whole plate....-->>>

I have this tripod, Dave, and the attachment of the quick-mount plate to the camera base *is* via the usual thumb screw. If you were looking in a store they must have lost the part and had their display jury-rigged with another.

I do agree that the tripod is too flimsy, though, and also the legs are too short to straddle the audiitorium seat in front of me, which is a shooting arrangement I frequently want to use.

I will say that the zoom controller works very well.

__
Fred
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : I was thinking of something smaller than the 501 because it's for
a monopod. I have the 682B, the one with the flip-out feet.
Isn't it true that sometimes they'll list heads as being "fluid heads" but they don't necessarily have fluid in them? Or can I trust their claims? -->>>

You cannot trust their claims in this case. The 501 is not a fluid head. Nor is the 503.
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #18
Trustee

Really? I thought the 503 *was* a true fluid head.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #19
Wrangler

I do not believe so, Dave. To a lesser degree it is reported to have stiction problems just like the 501.

The problem is that the manufacturers think that when they slop some silicon oil/grease between two disks, that makes a fluid head. Well, maybe in the strictest sense. But not in the sense that we all want extremely good motion control with our tripod heads.

But if you compare the 503 action against something like the head on a Miller D-5 or Vision 3 Vinten head you can immediately tell the difference.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Don't take this as truth, because it could be completely wrong. Wish I had the reference, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Bogen 503 and all Bogen heads below it use Teflon discs as bearing surfaces, thus the stiction problems.

The 516 is a true fluid head, for sure.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #21
Wrangler

It is in the bottom of the price range to be a 'real' fluid head at around $475 give or take.

Buy cheap legs if you must. Never cheap heads if you can help it.

That said, I use some terrible heads for fixed applications. They work very well for quick setups and locked down cameras.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #22
Major Player

The 516 has fluid modules something like a Satchler has... the Cartoni heads are some of the cheapest true fluid heads you can get. Vintens are lubricated friction heads like the Gitzo 1380 and many others. That's not to say they aren't top of the line heads with perfect movement... but if you want to know what heads REALLY are fluid heads you have to check the individual model. This is another one of those topics where a lot of assumptions are made based on what you'd expect from a particular name.

I've got a 1380 and I laugh at how it says "fluide" on the side of it. What the hell is "fluide"? Anyway... I expect that the Vinten V3 is probably the same head... they're identical in weight, load, balance. Still you gotta' love the white finish of the Vintens... it screams "this 'aint your uncle's tripod".

Fred Retread? Are you the same Fred Retread from the Firestone Tire Shop down the street? Man I love that name. When I signed up I considered making something up like Max Zoom, but then I realized that I put so much effort in giving good information that I want to get credit for it. Also you've gotta' respect all these guys on here that back up their advice with their real name... give's 'em more credibility in my opinion.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #23
Major Player

The 516 head, is the lowest in the line of PRO heads that are produced by Bogen.

The 501, 503, etc; are all in the just video application gengre (non pro) fricition operation via composit discs' that rub together. No Fluid's involved.

The 516, (which I own), because of it's price/effectivness, is the reason that the big O'C, and others are moving to emulate it.

For the small cam's, that we most discuss in this format, and, in the future will be the norm, it is a hands down winner.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
The 516 has fluid modules something like a Satchler has... the Cartoni heads are some of the cheapest true fluid heads you can get. Vintens are lubricated friction heads like the Gitzo 1380 and many others. That's not to say they aren't top of the line heads with perfect movement... but if you want to know what heads REALLY are fluid heads you have to check the individual model. This is another one of those topics where a lot of assumptions are made based on what you'd expect from a particular name.
Are you referring to all cartoni's or a couple in particular. I was looking at the ap10 and f100.
What are the biggest differences (aside from price) between the bogen 516, cartoni ap10/f100, gitzo 1380, satchler dv-4ii, and vinten vision-3? Is the v3 2x as good as the bogen? I like that the gitzo comes with all the springs. I don't like that the bogen only has 1 fixed spring.
JJ
Joshua Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads