Vinten tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Vinten tripod

Yesterday I got to know about this Vinten tripod:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/gimme/storereframe.php?view=item&item=vinten_pro5

Such a price for such a tripod looks like a great deal!

The only catch: it's not for sale in the USA. Why is that?

The nearest Vinten you can find in B&H is more than $1,000 (Vision 3) and is not a match for the Pro 5.

Just in case anyone never heard of Vinten, in my opinion they are on the same level as Sachtler, for same application product.

I'm wondering how much would it cost to ship it to the USA from UK.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Major Player

you see these listed on Ebay all the time. Check those out.
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Carlos, their phone number is on there, wwhy not just call them?

This looks like an awesome 'pod, especially for less than $500.
BTW, Vinten is very reputable, I see them in use all the time in pro setups, just don't know where these people buy them.
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Butler : Carlos, their phone number is on there, wwhy not just call them?-->>>

I do not live in the US, so it would be a bit expensive to call them. They didn't answer my mail yet. Maybe they can't sell that product to the US, where I would have it delivered.

<<<-- This looks like an awesome 'pod, especially for less than $500.
BTW, Vinten is very reputable, I see them in use all the time in pro setups, just don't know where these people buy them. -->>>

After I started this thread I made a Google search on it. I found some complaints on it on a French site. Through Babelfish I could only guess what they said, but apparently this tripod is not really as good as other Vintens. E.g.: you have to store it with the locks loose or the screws will pinch the teflon inside and create small bumps with time. This is not something I never heard on any tripod.

Carlos
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Carlos, for a small cam like the PV-DV953, look at the Manfrotto 055pro legs/128RC head. With the money saved, you can apply it to your cam purchase or extra gear, like lighting perhaps.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 04:59 AM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : for a small cam like the PV-DV953, look at the Manfrotto 055pro legs/128RC head. With the money saved, you can apply it to your cam purchase or extra gear, like lighting perhaps. -->>>

An excellent suggestion.

But I must say I have a certain implication with telescopic legs or central columns. They are too vibration prone when you are doing a slow pan in tele. Tandem legs geometry provides a much better stability.

The next thing is that I am adamant for a ball leveller.

A combination of a Bogen 351MV with a 501 head, with 75mm ball would suit the bill and be not that much expensive. $364 at B&H.

What do you think?

Carlos
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Libec

A strong contender for both the Vinten and the Manfrotto/Bogen versions is the Libec M-20.

It's reasonably good in every way. And very competitively priced.

But the one I once used had a problem that might be generic or not. The horizontal locker couldn't work in no other position than completely free. That is you couldn't graduate your horizontal resistance with it. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Carlos
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #8
Outer Circle

I'm not familar with the USA Bogan codes. Are they Manfrotto legs?

The 501 head is overkill for a PV-DV953, unless you're now thinking of getting something bigger.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #9
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : I'm not familar with the USA Bogan codes. Are they Manfrotto legs?-->>>

Those are not USA codes, but Bogen's. Have a look at their specs:

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=78&itemid=260

<<<-- The 501 head is overkill for a PV-DV953, unless you're now thinking of getting something bigger. -->>>

As a matter of fact, yes, the idea is to be able to use it with something bigger sometime.

But if there's one thing I learned, probably the hard way, is that the better the head the better the movement. Using a lighter load on a high-load designed head is usually quite good.

High load heads are usually better designed, so the plus you get by using them probably compensates the extra weight (+ 500g in this case) and the extra price.

The 128RC does not seem designed to fit a levelling bowl, or at least is not specified on the specs as so.

A levelling bowl is a must, even if I don't like the way Manfrotto designed theirs, but nobody is perfect.

In any case, you combo total weight is certainly lighter than the one I suggest: 3.4 kg vs 5.1 kg

But are we men or mice?...

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads