How to fix tripod head give and or wobble? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 25th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to fix tripod head give and or wobble?

Have pro bogen tripod and fluid head.

Seems like a gem, fluid, etc, but when panning side to side there is give, a "bump", "stutter" when you switch directions.

IE:
Imagine you are smoothly panning the head left, and stop. A few moments later you pan right, but at the initial start of the pan-right, there is a BUMP in the road, NOT fluid movement.

If you use continuous motion left, and immediate switch right, this still occurs of course.

I've used $70 tripods that work better than this, and am positive everyone knows what this feels like, and that it is inacceptable.

Is there a fix, bogen manual, etc, to take care of this?
Or, when this occurs with a pro tripod setup, it is signs of replacement and or/warranty fixing?

I have no experience adjusting heads or removing them, and even after fixing this, would like this information.

Thank you.
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Which "Bogan" head?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I recently purchased a Manfrotto 700RC2 head that did the exact same thing. The local store that I purchased it from exchanged it after 2 weeks.
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

bogen 3063.. does it matter which head?
if so, would like information on various heads
thanks
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I was just curious if it was a fluid or a fluid action head, because Manfrotto calls both these types "pro." If you just bought it, I'd also send it back and have it replaced as the other member suggested.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #6
Wrangler

One thing to check is on the head mount. Bogen usually uses 3 screws under the head-mounting plate (which is attached to the center column on the legs) to prevent the head from unscrewing from the legs. If these are loose, the head will jump from side to side once as you start to pan or whenever the friction setting for the pan is more than the friction between the head and mount plate.

Run the center column up and try to tighten the three screws that you will see on the bottom of the circular plate that is part of the column.
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I had a problem with my Bogen 503 that did the same thing when I first got it. It panned really smooth until you get to one particular spot. Called the vendor and he had me shipped back for them to check. I ended up getting another 503 since the first one was defective. For the price I couldn't be more happier with my 503.

RS
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

alrighty, didn't even do anything,and for the moment, it's mysteriously stopped doing what i've described... however, i have had this experience with pro/fluid head tripods that weren't even mine... will try that screw thing, because this seems like it would be a more common issue with an easy fix, and maybe the screw thing is it.. thanks
Alturo Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads