Bogen / Manfrotto 728B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 25th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen / Manfrotto 728B

I received this tripod today:

http://www.bogenphoto.com/product_te...68&itemid=2158

According to Bogen, the 728B utilizes Teflon coated plates for fluid-like movement.

Much to my dismay, I found the pan and tilt movements surprisingly stiff and clunky and anything but "extremely smooth" as Bogen advertises. A remote Sony tripod I recently used had more fluid-like movements than this!

I'm going to try the lighter weight 718B which is supposed to have smoother movements than the 728B. If this doesn't work out, either, I'll order another Sony tripod, save $80 and get a bubble level, to boot!

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Can you adjust the stiffness? Perhaps there's something wrong with the head. It happans.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Frank. I wish I knew how to adjust the stiffness. Perhaps the teflon has degraded. I'm anxious to hear B & H's assessment.

Disappointing, too, are the leg hinges which are excessively tight and require an earnest effort to open and shut.

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:43 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I'm not familar with that head. Perhaps it's a Bogan code? I would just send it back.

A lot of the larger Manfrotto/Bogan legs have loosening snaps that are almost dangerous for your fingers, I've noticed.

I don't know what cam you have, but if it's a small cam the Manfrotto 055pro with Manfrotto 128RC head is pretty good. The head is very smooth for a "fluid action" head. The legs are veru good but the snaps are a bit tight.

If you go here, http://www.manfrotto.com, you can get the Bogan code for it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads