DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Okay, I know black is the color of professionals, but when it comes to tripods... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/17877-okay-i-know-black-color-professionals-but-when-comes-tripods.html)

Dave Largent December 3rd, 2003 04:58 AM

Okay, I know black is the color of professionals, but when it comes to tripods...

Am I the only one who's ever thought of this? I'm in the market
for tripods for unmanned cameras, and you have your choice
of black or non-black (i.e. silver). I think most take black
because it shows up less when in scenes shot by the other
cams. But what about the concern of leaving unmanned
tripods around dimly-lit areas such as churches and receptions?
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think about all the people
of all ages milling about, not expecting tripods hanging around.
I'm wondering if a non-black tripod, because of it's increased
visability, might be less of a trip hazard. Anyone else thought
of this, or is it just me? Any thoughts regarding which way I
should go on this issue would be appreciated.

Jeff Donald December 3rd, 2003 06:48 AM

Vinten tripods, both aluminum and carbon fiber, are very light grey. They also help in the heat. Try using a black aluminum tripod on the beach. They can just about peel the skin off the hand.

I've used Vinten tripods for several years and no one has ever complained about the color. In many cases they blend in better than black.

Matt Gettemeier December 3rd, 2003 07:49 AM

Get whatever you like best. I had a Bogen for years and I loved the look of silver anodizing. Then I saw the black and I loved it. I've seen the Vintens and I LOVE them. Currently I have a Gitzo that cost me a lot including the head... it's all this hammered-gray/black gloss... know what? I love it.

Any decent pod will mix attributes and negatives. Usually the more you spend the less you'll get of the latter.

Get black and be discreet. Any decent pod will bring you pure joy once you get past this shopping stage. I give my pod a slight smile every time I pull it from the case, then I forget about it totally as it just puts out for me... so to speak.

"I like my pods like I like my women... black, level-headed, and easy to use without a spreader..." er, uh, you get the point. My current pod is actually Gitzo-frenic.

Bryan Beasleigh December 3rd, 2003 06:36 PM

Hang a dayglo orange triangle from each side :)

Frank Granovski December 3rd, 2003 07:36 PM

Black is the choice for professionals, not because black looks sexy or whatever. It's because sliver tripods and stands can cause reflection from lighting and ruin your video (or picture). With smoked/dull black tripods and stands, this doesn't happen.

James Emory December 3rd, 2003 08:04 PM

Black, the color of champions, I mean professionals

Now Frank, we all know that black is professional because our resident marketing executive Fred has proclaimed it!

Dave Largent December 3rd, 2003 08:10 PM

I've decided. I'm going to go with black. I think the silver will just stick out too much for what I'm trying to do. And no one here seems overly concerned about the trip issue. Thanks.

Frank Granovski December 3rd, 2003 08:59 PM

I have a number of photos that were ruined because the light reflected from my silver stands (about 300 photos ruined). It too me a few weeks to figure out where this reflection was coming from. When I finally determined it was from the silver stands, I wrapped a dull black tape over the legs, which didn't look pretty, but worked. No more reflection.

Dave Largent December 3rd, 2003 09:04 PM

Can Fred come back? Or is he gone?

Frank Granovski December 3rd, 2003 09:42 PM

Don't know. Maybe Chris can answer that.

Kevin Maistros December 4th, 2003 08:05 AM

Same reason football players have black streaks under their eyes sometimes, basically.

Jeff Price December 5th, 2003 11:02 AM

Some of the Bogens are also available in a flat green color. More visible than black, doesn't reflect like the aluminum.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 5th, 2003 11:35 AM

I really hope that Fred will come back! He was so much entertaning!

Dave Largent December 5th, 2003 01:23 PM

Yeah, that must be neat working in a womens shoe store.
I wanted to look at Fred Garhart's other posts but for some reason his name is not listed with the other members.

The green tripods, I think, are designed for nature work.

James Emory December 5th, 2003 04:24 PM

The Best of Fred

Dave you can see the Best of Fred by doing a search with his name and they ALL come up. Funny stuff!