Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:05 AM   #151
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,
I use the Vinten single-stage carbon fiber legs. It really has some exellent design details I've not found on other brands of legs. For example, the ground spreader features calibrated markings to enable you to quickly set the spreader accurately. Its locks are also better designed than those from Sachtler. The leg locks are also very well designed and snap into locking position with tactile feedback. The legs also fit perfectly into a Bogen portable folding dolly I already had (sometimes handy for indoor work), far less expensive than a Vinten dolly. Yes, these are little details but they really add up to big details in practical use.

I chose to get the Vinten bag for the rig. It's really excellently constructed, with a good carrying handle, large dividable interior pocket, well-padded exterior, a well-padded shoulder strap and a grab handle at the end. I believe that it was a bit more than a comparable Porta Brace case (I'm a big Porta Brace fan/customer) but I was not disappointed at all with it.

[EDIT]
I believe that the Vinten 2-stage cf legs share the same design details I described above.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:18 AM   #152
Regular Crew

You use the ground spreader, I see. I meant to ask if you preferred the ground spreader to the mid level?

The difference between single and 2 stage appears to be only several inches in maximum height. Either would work for me.

Did you use spring # 3? I have seen 3 recommended for the XL-1S; however, I wonder if #4 is better if you add MA-200, dual batteries, 5" or 7" monitor, a different shotgun XLR mic, etc?

I won't be able to respond to you until tomorrow. It's pretty late!

Thanks!
John C Heid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM   #153

I use the #3 spring with my XL1s. Even fully-loaded (FU-1000 b&w evf, 16x manual lens, matte box, MA-200, CH-910 w/dual BP-945 batteries) it balances nicely. Of course you will have to adjust the plate's position on the head a bit.

I use the #2 spring with my GL2 and DVX100A. Again, no real counter-force trouble here either. Very smooth.

Yes, I use the ground spreader. Nearly all of my shooting tends to be on reasonably level surfaces so it's not a big issue to me. I had a longstanding affinity for mid-level spreaders. But I have found that the adjustability of leg stance provided by a ground spreader can be of great benefit in terms of height as well as overall rigidity of the leg support. I really like having those legs splayed when shooting low. The whole assembly feels rock-solid.

I also prefer the single-stage leg configuration, basically because I prefer to only futz with one adjustment per leg.

One recommendation: buy an extra plate. The Vinten plates are absurdly expensive (something like $150, if I recall correctly). But it's a good idea to have an extra in case one is lost or you lose a screw. Goofy stuff happens, and without that plate you're out of business.

I think you're in for a real treat if you get a Vinten. Have fun!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM   #154
Regular Crew

That's a great approx price Ken. The best price I have been quoted over here in the UK for a Vinten Vision 3 head with 2 stage cf legs, mid level spreader and soft case is £1563 which is approx $2848

Anybody from UK know where I could get it cheaper. Would have to be around £1208 to compare to $2200

My local supplier should have it on SOR sometime this week for me to have a look at. Apart from price can't wait!

Likewise, will be using it with my XL1. Vinten recommended to me for standard XL1 setup use number 2 spring and if using a heavy EF lens like the Canon 100-400 a number 4 spring!
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:40 PM   #155
Regular Crew

Thanks

I was glad to hear good things about the Vision 3 head as I can simply place it on the Vinten carbon sticks I already have and save some $$$s. This discussion of SPRING #s is new to me though. If the spring is simple to switch out, maybe I'll get the 2, 3, and 4 so I'm covered.

It's been a while since I last visited here and I'm glad to see so may folks willing to share info.

Remember, if you aren't having fun doing what you are doing, you are doing the wrong thing.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM   #156

The Vision 3's springs are very easy to swap. It requires just a minute or two and a coin (to unscrew the spring's securing bolt).

B&H has an online chart guide you in spring selection. Go to one of the springs and look for the "Click Here for a complete listing" link on each spring's page. (Not directly linkable from here, sorry.)

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM   #157
Regular Crew

If you were buying a new tripod, as I am, and have no existing parts to use, would you buy the 1 stage or 2 stage carbon sticks? I see 3 factors to consider: slight maximum height difference, a weight difference, and a setup leg adjustment (more to fiddle with) difference. I have heard a voice for simplicity, and that makes good sense, combined with lesser weight. Would anyone like to defend their reason for using 2 stage legs? I would appreciate your ideas!
John C Heid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #158
Regular Crew

John, I'd definitely buy 2-stage legs. I can't remember the last time I used a single stage set of legs. In the 70s and 80s it was almost exclusively wooden Miller legs with Mitchell heads. When carbon fiber legs came out in the 90s they were much lighter but still had the stiffness to resist torquing. I'm so accustomed to the range of heights afforded by two stage legs that I can't give them up (yes, size does matter). And, especially with the much lighter XL1s camera, the heavier weight of the legs is a real advantage when you are doing lots of panning and tilting.

The old Vinten legs with new Vision 3 heads will continue to travel in the Portabrace Tripod Shellpack we've had for years. It's well padded, holds LOTS of other stuff as well as the tripod and has lots of carrying options.

The first tripods I purchased for our Canon cameras are Bogen/Manfrotto 503 heads on 442 legs. The only positive things I can say about them is that they are lightweight, pack easily, and work sufficiently well for low-angle shots. They seem well made and the head pans & tilts relatively smoothly but it's just too big a step down from the Vinten system.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #159
Major Player

I have a 2-stage aluminum Vinten Vision 3 rig, I use Spring #4 for the XL1S, stock lenses, ME66 and a PreAmp on a home-made camera mount. The spring is more than is needed, I think most people can get away with Spring #3

I don't know if current shipments include the VHS-sized screw to mount the camera to the plate. Mine did not, I had to buy one from B&H.

I do want to invest in a mid spreader, but at $700 USD it's a bit of a stretch. I wonder if there's a Bogen model that fits....
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #160
Regular Crew

tripod for XL1s

Hi, I live in Burnaby and recently purchased an XL1s. I'm looking for a decent tripod and head (used if the price is right). Any suggestions or is someone looking to sell?
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #161
Air China Pilot

Hey David, last night I walked past a pawn shop that had a Bogen 501 head sitting on some Manfrotto sticks in the front window. It's one of the pawn shops on Granville St. If they're in good condition you might want to check it out. It's one of the pawn shops on the E. side of the street downtown close to the backpackers and Indian crafts store.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #162
New Boot

Would agree on Bogen...

I too have an XL1 and a Bogen Tripod (3021), and I have found that the "tubing" of the Bogen legs seems to be thick enough, that the weight of the XL1 stands firm, and the Tripod Head (3063) is strong enough, that the camera doesn't budge. Either way, just try and make sure the tripod you buy is thick enough to stand the weight. I have a "cheapy" that I purchased around $45, and the weight of the XL1 moved the head somewhat.

Hope that helps and good luck shopping...
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:21 PM   #163
Regular Crew

Thank you both for the information. I will try the pawn shop. Is it by Leo's camera or on the other end of Granville?
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #164
Air China Pilot

It's in that area of Granville, yes, but opposite side of the street.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #165
Trustee

Please recommend me an XL1S tripod quickly!

i need one before 6/12. i'm shooting my friend's wedding. any suggestions? i need one that is not only good for this shoot but any shoot.

i've heard from a friend of mine that said that bogen tripods such as the 3021n or 3021 pro are pretty GOOD if you also add the micro fluid heads. what do you guys think? cheaper alternatives? go with bogen? if so where do i buy it for a good price? i need this to arrive @me house BEFORE 6/12. thanks =).

PS what about promaster tripods?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads