Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #106
Outer Circle

I suggest the Manfrotto 351 MV-B video legs with the Bogen 503 head. You will also need a spreader, which is inexpensive. There are 2 spreaders available, a mid-level, for outdoors, and the other for indoors: on flooring, carpet etc. I'll convert the prices for you on Monday, and compare them with say the B&H (total) price. I Think it's cheaper by about 18%. But with Miller, They are about 40% cheaper over here at Leo's (Vancouver), compared with a good USA price.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 07:50 PM   #107
Slash Rules!

Much appreciated good sir. Like I said before, I won't be able to buy it for a while, so if this is any inconvenience to you, I order you to cease your blasted inquiries immediately!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #108
Outer Circle

You don't have to buy anything. I'm just suggesting what to buy for the XL-1 (in way of a tripod and head), and trying to find out the best place to buy it from, whether in Canada, or the USA. Manfrotto is a good option, good bang for the buck. Besides, I'm sure other members may find this information useful. And I do wnat to find out for myself, where to get the best deal on Manfrottos (if I were an American). I already know that Millers are a heck of a lot cheaper here, then there. Take care.
Old May 11th, 2002, 10:20 PM   #109
Slash Rules!

Groovy. Just wanted to be clear.
Old May 12th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #110
Slash Rules!

You said the Miller was 40 percent cheaper than in the US? Let me know if there's a good price on a miller tripod, as well.
Old May 12th, 2002, 10:22 PM   #111
Outer Circle

Just contact www.leoscamera.com

They are also the distributer.
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:28 AM   #112
Slash Rules!

Do they have prices on the site? I looked, and just found specs on the gear.
Old May 13th, 2002, 02:07 AM   #113
Outer Circle

Just e-mail or phone them.

Most sites that list prices are usually not up to date anyways, or they put list prices up and you have phone them or e-mail them for the actual prices. This includes places like B&H and Video Direct...Camera World etc. That's how the game is played.
Old May 13th, 2002, 02:16 AM   #114
Slash Rules!

Oy.
Old May 13th, 2002, 06:36 AM   #115
Obstreperous Rex

Camera World of Oregon has been recently "assimilated" by Ritz Camera. Don't know what that does to their previously good reputation, though. However the Camera World we knew has ceased to exist and is now just an asteroid belt.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #116
Outer Circle

That's news for me, Chris. Lot of guys I know take the fast train from Vancouver, British Columbia (or drive) down to Portland, just to visit and buy from Camera World!! It was a good place. I too hope it remains so.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 12:32 AM   #117
Regular Crew

Tripods for Canon XLS-1?

My question regards tripods. I was wondering what the best tripods for the Canon XLS are?

I've seen Canon offers a product called the Steady-Stick. It supplies support when shooting to give you that rock solid shot. It can broken down in size to allow for easy transportation. To anyone who has used this, is this as good as a tripod?

Any help on this topic is appreciated. Also indicate where I could purchase any of the products in the post.
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:27 AM   #118
Trustee

If you do a search on TRIPODS you will find hundreds of posts on the subject. Tripods range from around $80 to several thousands and it all depends on what you want to do and the budget you have.

I've never used the Steady Stick so can't help you there, but Bogan/Manfrotto make some affordable quality tripods/fluid heads that are perfect for the XL
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:42 AM   #119

I bought a SteadyStick about two years ago and I love it. It is meant to be used when you want your handheld shots to look as if they were shot from a tripod. It is not a stabilization device such as a SteadiCam, again it is not meant to be used when running or walking around.

It allows you to shoot handheld all day long without fatigue, while keeping your shots steady like a tripod would. It does not replace a tripod however. I would keep a tripod close by (in the production vehicle or with an assistant) in case you find your shot requires a tripod.

The newest model allows you to take the camera off of the stick and mount immediately to your tripod. A very handy feature.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #120
Trustee

When I was at NAB 2 years ago, I tried every
single tripod I could find ... dozens of them.

I bought a vinten vision 3 from B&H. About
$2K.

I also liked Sachtler and Libtec.

FWIW, I have a Bogen 3140 Combo Kit
and destest it (sorry to say;).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads