Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 15th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #121
bassgruv417

The Libec LS-35 works great w/ my XL1/s and the $520 price tag isn't bad for a decent set of sticks...good luck!
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #122
Regular Crew

Greetings

A Steady-Stick or monopod work great for shoots with a lot of moving around. It can be a little tricky getting the hang of pans and tilts with a monopod. On most shoots as mentioned b4 I use both a tripod and a monopod. I am a Bogen fan myself. They make great solid tripods and monopods in a decent price range. I like the fact that I can get the quick release plates that will fit both my monopod (w/head) and my tripod. It makes it easy to switch between the two.

I would say get both. A monopod (Steady-Stick) will not cost you much and a tripod is a must for good solid shots with pans, tilts and when you need a quick break you can without haveing to set the camera down.

The tripod I use is Bogen 3181. I am used to having a bowl and had to have it on my smaller cameras also. I have a Bogen 3063 head. It does a great job. I think most of the people here have the 501 pro head witch is great and more like my studio head for my bigger camers (3066) . I choose the smaller 3063 because it cost less and the XL1 is so light that I feel I can get away with it. I love being portable and light and thats what I get out of my 3063, head.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 02:59 AM   #123
Regular Crew

I use the Cartoni Action Pro fluid head/legs with my XL1 and like it very much. The controls allow the tripod to be set up quickly and easily with no annoying fiddly controls. You can also get a soft case to go with it which I highly recommend, unless you want to consider something like a third party soft case like the ones Kata make.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 02:52 AM   #124
Regular Crew

I am using a Manfrotto setup consisting of the 028B tripod with 501 head and 127VS dolly if needed - it works for me and did not break the budget.
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 12:22 PM   #125
Major Player

I'm using a Miller DS-10 with my XL1. As you can tell, there are a lot of options in the tripod department for the XL1. There's been a real move over the last few years on the part of all the tripod makers to cater to the DV market, and the XL1 is usually the poster child for the DV cameras. As a result, there are lots and lots of choices in this area.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 12:01 AM   #126
Wrangler

Manfrotto/Bogen 501 head, and 351 sticks. I think it's 351. Maybe 3051?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:22 PM   #127
Wrangler

I use a Bogen 3246 Black Professional Tripod with 3066 Fluid Head. Very solid. I also had to buy an additional 3158 Mounting Plate for the 3066 head to allow for quick changes with my cobra crane. Just the plate will set you down $30... what a ripoff!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #128
Regular Crew

Tripod

I use a Manfrotto 500MV with 501 head. Cost about $750 here in Ireland. Nice and weighty although the head could be better. Good value.
Denis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #129
Warden

I use a Vinten Vision 10 with carbon fiber sticks. The pan and tilt drags are very adjustable (0 to 10) The counter weights are also very adjustable. This allows for me to configure my camera in many different ways. The lens, adapters and batteries I use for wildlife weigh in at almost 20 pounds.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #130

If I had my way I would use an O'Connor fluid head all the time. I always try to use the O'Connor "Ultimate DV" 2575C whenever I can. It isn't cheap, yet it isn't the most expensive one either. It IS however, extremely fluid and extremely controllable as far as drag and tilt feel is concerned - it works with you, not against you like so many of the cheaply-priced heads. This is not overkill for a smaller DV camera, it just has a superb feel for ultra precise moves as you want them to happen, easy to "get it right the first time" with this one.

I have used this on the XL1S, as well as the new Panasonic DVX100 when I was in LA recently. It was such a pleasant experience. It easily handles larger DVCam and BetaCams too.

This head will last you a career, not just a few years like many of the cheaply-priced units.
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #131
New Boot

For my XL1s I use Monfrotto 028 legs, a Monfrotto 501 head, and Monfrotto 127 dolly. Costs around $395 US and works great.
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:15 PM   #132
Regular Crew

I bought a set from B&H Photo. It was a bit pricy (999$) but works excellent. The set consists of: Bogen Manfrotto 3182 tripod, 505 multispring fluid head, tripod spreader, carry strap and a padded tripod bag.
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #133
New Boot

Tripod for the XL1 / XL1S

I am attaching my XL1 to a Miller Tripod. The adapter will fit the tripod fine.. However I don't have it in hand and won't till the shoot. Can anyone tell me if the Miller 493 adapter will fit my XL1s? I want to make sure of this to avoid any surprises

Thanks!
Jay
Jay Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #134
Wrangler

I moved your post here since I think you are more likely to get the correct answer.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #135
New Boot

Tripod for the XL1

What is the best tripod for the xl1?

Waco
Waco Oguin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads