DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   what tripod to buy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/18213-what-tripod-buy.html)

Joel Corral December 10th, 2003 11:40 PM

what tripod to buy

hi,

i am looking to buy a good, sturdy, and acurate tripod. anyone have any sugestions? looking for best overall value.

Jeff Donald December 10th, 2003 11:58 PM

Do search you'll find a multitude of opinions on this subject. It would also help to provide more details as to camera model, intended uses, budget etc.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:40 AM

Have you considered a tripod without a center column?
What camera are you using?

Onauj Oliveros December 11th, 2003 03:19 AM

gitzo's are really good..they're costly though.

Frank Granovski December 11th, 2003 04:31 AM

Joel, for which cam?

Joel Corral December 11th, 2003 11:33 AM

for my gl2. i want something very very stable as i wont be shooting with the image stablizer on.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 02:33 PM

What price range are you looking?
I just got done evaluating the Sunpak Ultra 757B. I'll be putting up a review soon. It's the second in a series of tripod reviews I'm doing. First review was of the top-of-the-line Sony with the built-in Lanc controller.
The Sony was not recommended. The Sunpak I looked at is not for you as it doesn't meet your criterium of being "very, very stable".

Joel Corral December 11th, 2003 08:29 PM

why do tripods that are very stable cost a ton more? isnt that what most people looking for a tripod look for. man, i would think that being very stable would be at least the minimum standard. who wants a tripod that will jerk or shake everytime you make a pan?

joel

thanks for all input please keep em coming

Matt Gettemeier December 11th, 2003 08:53 PM

Seriously, I would expect to spend $500 at the low end and $800 for the "mid range" and after that the sky's the limit... for a cam in your range I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at the idea of spending $800-$1000 for a pod you'll always have.

A $300 pod won't actually shake, but more cash equals smoother motion in the head and more stability/versatility in the legs.

If you break it down I don't think good pods (sub $1K) are really that out of line. The ones in the $500 range are generally an even better value for the dollar.

As an example, a good Gitzo pod, could be around $350. But then you need the bowl. $50. And your choice of head. That can easily be around $400. Each component is a specialized piece that's machined in fairly limited quantities.

Onauj Oliveros December 11th, 2003 08:55 PM

I agree /\. You should just purchase an expensive tripod like Gitzo, they are really well made and they have a LIFETIME warranty so you do not have to worry about that.

Dave Largent December 11th, 2003 10:09 PM

Joel,
I just got done evaluating two more tripods --
still got one to go, but the pub is calling my name.
Anyways, I may have something for you. What are
you going to use the tripod for? Do you need it
to just go your height, or do you need it to
go over your head?

Joel Corral December 12th, 2003 12:07 AM

well i need it to be around head high. i will be shooting surf footage so i realy need light wight and very stable. also are there any tripods that can act as a monopod?

Frank Granovski December 12th, 2003 12:39 AM

Joel, who much are you willing to spend?

Why do you want to use the OIS with a tridod?

Joel Corral December 12th, 2003 12:51 AM

ois what is that. i want to spend the least possible without sacrificing quality and preformance. i need a "best buy" so to speak.

joel

Brian Maier December 12th, 2003 12:53 AM

I just got a sachtler dv2 II for $720 and i love it. It is SOOOOO much nicer than the bogens that i used to work with. I cant stand those 501 heads. All i can say is you get what you pay for!