DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Takin' it on the chin for wanting a DS-10. Is there a better option? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/19003-takin-chin-wanting-ds-10-there-better-option.html)

Kent Fraser December 30th, 2003 05:03 PM

Takin' it on the chin for wanting a DS-10. Is there a better option?

Okay, I've got a loaded GL2 with a pretty heavy Varizoom for the pan handle... needing a good head for shooting documentaries and motivational material.

Shopping around for the best price on a Miller DS-10 (828), I got nailed by a salesman from a pretty popular internet merchant. He called it "Mass overkill" and basically questioned my intelligence (via email). Why spend half the price of the camera on a tripod? He was trying to sell me a Cartoni Action Pro(?) for half the price of the Miller. Now, I must admit that I've never used a Miller, but have read some great reviews here and elsewhere. Dead stops after a pan are a must for me. And in this cold climate (northern Minnesota), I'd like some consitency in the head. With room to move up to a DV cam (Like PD150 or 170 or possibly new Canon?).

So... is it really overkill, or is there a head that is worthy of my consideration that really is comparable? This is where I came to for much of my info. Help me make a good decision. Yes, I would like to save bucks, but not at the expense of smooth moves and dead stops. I don't want quality to suffer because of the tripod/head action. Is this possible with another less-expensive system?

Thanks in advance!

Kent

Frank Granovski December 30th, 2003 06:05 PM

Kent from Bemidji---beautiful place---look for the "Miller DS5" thread. There you will find a dealer in Australia that sells the DS5 (and DS10) a lot cheaper than US prices. Millers are made in Australia; perhaps that's one reason they are a lot cheaper there.

Ken Tanaka December 31st, 2003 11:20 AM

Hello Kent,
When shopping for a tripod/fluid head system is you need to take into consideration that it will probably outlive your current camera. Probably several cameras.

In short, a Miller DS-10 would be an excellent choice for your GL2 outfit and for the prospective cameras of similar size that you mention. It would also be an excellent choice for the severe weather of Minnesota. Like other top-of-the-line heads, the Millers are engineered to operate smoothly and consistently in such conditions. I have no experience with a Cartoni so I cannot comment on that rig.

I own a Miller DS-10 and have used it with the load you describe. (The full-size Varizoom controllers are actually quite light, contrary to what their fist-sized profile would suggest. They're really not a significan load factor.) I would highly recommend it as a well-engineered mid-priced choice for smaller hand-helds.

As for the "salesman", well

Joe Romano January 1st, 2004 12:22 AM

Can't recommend a cheaper tripod , but I love the DS-10, it's hard to do a bad move using that head , and I got a good price from a guy in Orlando at Photomart Cine-Video,
I dealt with Gary, He was great, and you can tell him I recommended if you like.

Kent Fraser January 8th, 2004 01:28 PM

Well, It's done.

I ordered the Miller Solo DV with the DS-10 head (1511 system). It was a tough decision on the legs, but I don't think I'll be disapointed. I'll know more of course in a few days.

Kent

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2004 02:19 PM

I really think you'll love it, Kent. Very versatile. Very smooth and reliable. Travels light and well. Come to think of it, it embodies most of the qualities one might look for in a mate!

Kent Fraser January 8th, 2004 03:37 PM

Looking forward to getting it. Makes ya feel like a kid at Christmas again. I'm real curious to see the Solo in real life. The very low angle shots it can handle and the neoprene coating are very interesting to me - the neoprene especially for the colder temps up here in the northwoods of Minnesota.

I sure appreciate the help and discussion found here at DVinfo. I stumbled across the site a few months back when I began this quest for a good tripod. It's great to be able to get feedback from users of the gear you're considering without the sales pitch that comes with the promise of commission. Although some are slightly biased anyway ;0)

Thanks Ken, Joe and Frank as well as others who helped along the way.

As for a mate... well, you're probably right. I must say though that my wife exceeds the qualities of any man-crafted device. God made her!