DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Bargain?? tripod systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/19455-bargain-tripod-systems.html)

Tom Markos January 8th, 2004 08:24 AM

Bargain?? tripod systems

Since there has been so much discussion (as well as disagreement) on the topic of tripod selection, quality, and value, I thought adding a little more weight to this tenuous balance might be interesting.
To the point: can anyone offer any insight into the merits or downfalls of the tripod systems offered at the following site- www.2dreammaker.com?

Tom Markos

Honglin Sun January 8th, 2004 09:53 AM

Just follow this thread. Can anyone recommend a good tripod system for my new GL2? I also wonder if I can use the same tripod for both video and film camera shooting.

Jeff Patnaude January 8th, 2004 10:05 AM

I keep seeing those tripods on Ebay. He doesn't budge on the price though, and there's no info as to the manufacturer. At least if I knew who made the head and the legs it would help me spend the money.

Still shopping...

Jeff Patnaude

Tom Markos January 8th, 2004 12:07 PM

Hi Jeff,
Alex, the owner, explains that they are made by the largest manufacturer of tripods. I don't know just what that is supposed to mean but he readily points to all the rave recommendations from past customers.
I would, perhaps, feel more comfortable about all those rave reviewers if I better knew just how informed those persons might be; and better still, knew their level of experience level in videography.
This is not to suggest that something duplicitous is occurring, but it certainly does warrant caution. Hence, my original query.

Tom

Brian Huey January 8th, 2004 01:28 PM

Honglin: A tripod you get for the GL2 will work just fine for still camera work. However, many tripods for still camera work have a center column that extends, making it less stable and introducing some wobble which you will want to avoid for camcorders.

I just ordered a Libec TH-M20 from BH Photo Video (a DVinfo sponsor) and it should be here in about three hours. I'll post back later on how it works for my GL2. I may start a new thread for it.

Libec M20 at BH

Do a search of the forums for 'Libec' to find more information.

Cheers,
Brian

Honglin Sun January 8th, 2004 09:28 PM

I heard that Bogen/Manfrotto has a good selection of tripod system for both camera and video. I wonder someone has any recommendation for the GL2.

Thanks

Guest January 9th, 2004 09:00 PM

i have the bogen 501 head and 3001 legs which i got in a package from B&H and i am extremely satisfied w/ their perfromance with my gl2... i am even more satisfied about not having to get a second job to pay for a tripod.

Boyd Ostroff January 10th, 2004 06:19 AM

I have a 501 and used it exclusively for several years. I think it represents a good value for the money (maybe $250 with 3221 legs), and it works just fine for wider shots. If you do a lot of work zoomed in all the way you'll start to see its shortcomings however with jerky starts and stops. But if you're on a budget it's certainly a good place to start.

I upgraded to a Miller DS-5 last summer and there's really a huge difference in the smoothness of motion. But this probably won't fit your "bargain" classification since it cost around $800. There seems to be a gap between the $300 systems and the $800 systems with little in between.

To me it makes no sense whatsoever to use the same tripod for video and still photos. You don't need a fluid head to take still photos; they're too bulky and heavy. What kind of still camera do you have? Most of them are considerably smaller and lighter than video cameras. I've used a number of tripods for my still camera, but recently I got a small lightweight Manfrotto 719B "Digi". It's much lighter than other tripods I've used (which were really overkill for a small digital camera), and it's great for hiking around the woods, etc. The ball head is terrific also for a still camera as you can frame your shot by tilting along any axis. Of course, this tripod would be worthless for a video camera though.

David Ziegelheim January 10th, 2004 10:27 PM

Tripods Are Tricky

I have to agree with Boyd on the gap...huge. You need to see the smoothness of the head AND the sturdiness of the legs. Then you get into issues like flexibilty.

I would look at a Sachtler DV2 (about $800) and a Vinten Pro6 (around $1000 and also sold as a Panasonic). It sounds like a lot of money. But the difference is huge.

If you go with a $200-300 tripod, you can take some pans, but I tend to leave the tripod fixed. At this price range either the legs or head don't have the rigidity or smoothness to give the flexibility you want.

Taylor Moore January 20th, 2004 12:12 AM

I had heard that the Bogen 503/525 is a good conbination for the money or go down one to the 501/525.

David Ziegelheim January 20th, 2004 08:48 AM

I thought the 503 head was significantly smoother than the 501, felt like a more expensive head with no-counterbalance adjustment. That said, it is counterbalanced for 5.5 pounds. That is about what my camera is if I keep the mic low or boom it. If your rig is lighter (or heavier) it may not feel as good. The 503 also has an extendable pan arm. I really like the long pan arm for smooth movements. It also has variable pan and tilt resistance.

The 503/525 is $725 at B&H and is probably a good combo at that price. But note, you can also get a Vinten Pro 6, the Panasonic version of the Pro 6, and the Sachtler DV2 for with in $150 of this combo. Since the 525 aluminum legs with floor spreader offer no advantage over the Sachtler or Vinten legs, and the Sacthler head is in a different league performance-wise...I would get a DV2 or Pro 6 first.

Jarred Land January 21st, 2004 01:32 PM

503/525 is what I use with the DVX.. and would highly recommend it to anyone.