Tripod head leveler at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1
Trustee

Tripod head leveler

I have a Manfrotto 3221 tripod (center column type) with 501 head which is proving to be a little time consuming to level up each time. Has anyone used the Manfrotto head leveler with this combo. Take a look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=203536&is=REG

Also any other suggestions would be welcome

Regards,

Mark Williams
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Iīm in your same process of finding a levelling device to speed up my shooting, and I wanted that exact same leveler..

But everyone told me that for that price I should pay the difference and get me the this levelling center column..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=272855&is=REG
(note this is for my 190pro legs... there are other several models for other legs)..

So I went to a store and checked it out and compared to the levelling device you mention.. and the Center Column feels much better in my opinion..

It gives you 15 degrees of levelling instead of 10.
I feel itīs easier to lock/unlock.
And I get a spare center column to make my own steady-whatever device...
I donīt like the read ball.. but thatīs just makeup...

Now if could just find a place to buy it around here with the great price bhphoto has...
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Federico,

Your suggestion looks like it will work for me.

Regards,

Mark
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

You are welcome...

Iīll be buying it next month... and if you havenīt yet Iīll let you know how it works in a real shooting envoriment and not in the store...
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, I will be awaiting your report.

Regards,

Mark
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Wrangler

Mark, I have the head you are talking about. It works great (I'm using it with a 503 instead of the 501).

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Frederico,

Did you ever get the Manfrotto 3502 ball leveler for your tripod and if so what is your opinion

Regards,

Mark
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

How much height does the center column with the red levelling ball add to the tripod at most?

I would like to know the max height of a tripod with that center column. That particular accessory/replacement part does not, however, appear on the manfrotto web pages.
Ralf Strandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:11 AM   #9
Trustee

Ralf,

There may be some confusion here. The ball leveler that I am talking about is the 3502 seen here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=3&shs=3502&ci=1&ac=&Submit.x=44&Submit.y=15

I want to use this with my 3221 legs and 501 head. With the 3221 legs you can remove the center column and there is a threaded plug on the end of the column that you can detach and then snap in to the top of the tripod. The 3502 ball leveler about 2" high then attaches to the plug with the 501 added to the top of the leveler. With the 3221 legs and now no center column you can get amazingly low to the ground.

Regards,

Mark
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I purchased the 501 head from EVS. I also purchased the 3502 leveler. I looked at some of the threads discussing having a quick way to level and this is what was suggested. It works great! The price was $64.98 and well worth it.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks David,

I just tried to order one and they are out of stock. I guess I will have to wait just a little longer.

Regards,

Mark
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mark,

I was asking about that alternative centre-column model on B&H...

I'm interested in the two-inch compact levelling ball, but then it was pointed out that there is a centre column available with a built-in red levelling ball fixed at the end. So I wanted to compare the heights of these both setups.
Ralf Strandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:56 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi, Iīve forgotten about this thread.
I had not been able to buy the column yet. My cam is in the shop for a zoom problem.. so Iīll have to wait another month, (or get a job).

But Iīve tested it in the store a few times, and itīs smooth and fast. And Iīm decided to go for it.

And about the weight, I donīt think you will fill the difference unless, maybe you are planning on doing a lot of hicking, and still I donīt think it will add much weight.
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #14
Trustee

Got the Manfrotto 3502 ball leveler today. This thing is great. My tripod set up time has been cut in half. Thanks to everyone.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads