Tripod camera plate for the XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod camera plate for the XL1s

I'm using a Manfrotto (Bogen) Model 3047 head for the XL1s. My problem is the camera plates for this tripod come without a registration pin (that fits in the hole in front of the XL1s tripod socket). Anyone know of pins are available or have the P/N of a Bogen camera plate that comes with the pin installed?
Old May 25th, 2002, 05:54 AM   #2
Major Player

The Manfrotto/Bogen Professional Camera Supports catalog lists the 3159 as an optional plate for the 3047. The 3159 is a hexagonal plate with VHS locking pin.

That looks like a nice head for camera work but must be a real pain to use with video.
Old May 25th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Ed. Yes, it is a lousy head for video, but is all I have. What do you think of the Manfrotto/Bogen Model 3460 head for the XL1s? Cheaper than starting from scratch.
Old May 25th, 2002, 11:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Ron, the 3460 (Bogen 503) is the head that I purchased, based primarily on the recomendation of our fearless leader, Chris H. I have found it quite satisfactory, but if you do a search on tripods, you'll find several interesting discussions on that topic. The 503 has a 3/8" female thread for attaching to the legs, so make sure that will work before placing the order.
Old May 25th, 2002, 08:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My tripod is a Bogen 3021. Heads for it usually have a short tube or rod on the bottom which fit into the top of tripod. When I looked at the 3460 on B-H's web site it appeared to have the same arrangement. I wonder if there are different versions of the 3460? From what you say, I'm out of luck; no 3/8" male on my tripod.
Old May 26th, 2002, 07:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Do you have a ball mount on your tripod?

The 3021 legs in the catalog I have show the standard 3/8" head mounting arrangement. The rod that I think you are referring to is part of the leg assembly.

The picture of the 3460 on the B&H site shows the head mounted on a tripod with ball leveler. The head does not come with that part extending below the head in the picture, even though one might assume that from the photo. This head should work fine with your 3021 legs.
Old May 26th, 2002, 01:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ed -

I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I bought that tripod from a photo equipment rental place that went out of business. It came with the head installed, and no instructions. After getting your last message, I examined the tripod once again and found the three set screws that locked the head to the tripod. Loosened those and the head screwed right off, and there it was, the 3/8" male!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads