Vinten Vision 3 AS Head Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I suspect at least the -32 condition I did not expose the head(Sachtler dv6) long enough as there are limits for how long you cope with almost frostbitten fingers....when you have a warm car standing next to you. And ofcourse I forgot to leave the tripod outside overnight as i planed to.

It's not that i doubt vinten's quality, the pedestals at the college i studied where from 1967 and still going strong(looked lot like the ones in the b/w pictures in the catalouge...), but the performance in changing temperatures are quite important to me.

Reading at vinten's webpage there are some information about LF drag on the Vision AS heads and TF drag on the higher end models. Anyone got experience on how this will differ in real life, say shooting outside for five hours in -20 celcius? I've used the Vision 100 head before, but only indoors.

And are the Fibertec legs discontinued, can't find them on the vinten web?
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Christian............

Can't answer most of your other questions but can answer about the FiberTec's.

Yes, Vinten discontinued them early last year.

However, they are still available at B & H New York to special order, so if you want a set, get in quick, once they're gone, they're gone.

Vinten | 3498-3 ENG/EFP 2-Stage Fibertec Tripod Legs | 34983

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Vinten drag fluid

Hi Christian

We have two types of drag system. The "LF" or Lubricated Drag system or the "TF" or Thin Film Drag system. The LF system is the one i described earlier, its been around an awful long time and is used from Vision 3AS to Vision 10AS and the TF system, which has a temperature range from -40C to +60C, is used from Vision 100 up.

Yes, unfortunately Fibertec was discontinued a while back now, but as Chris says, there are a few dealers out there with stock.
Peter Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hello,

I can verify that the vintens are just fine in extremely cold weather. I use mine all winter long down to 35 below celsius with no issues. I use a 6 however.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I now can verify that I also might have been a bit optimistic regarding my the operational temp of my sachtler head. Did put it in the freezer at least -15 celciues for 6 hours and it played hawok to the counterbalance, as well the drag adjusters froze. Not a very scientific test, but neither are lugging around in snow and ice...

Sorry for being VERY picky about this issue, but I feel it's important when parts of Norway where I shoot have -5 Celsius and below(down to about -30 the coldest weeks) for about 6 months of the year.

For now at least i favour the AS8 head as it's system steup will be a tad cheaper than sachtler as i need mid spreader. It should be a good setup for a Hpx500 with a light Vocas mb and standard eng setup or will it be a safer bet with the AS10?
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi again........

Not familiar with the camera you mentioned so can't shed any light with the available info.

The best bet would be to weigh the entire rig sitting on a tripod plate, then try as best you can to work out a rough COG from the top of said plate, then use the published mass/ COG graphs from my first post to figure which head is more suitable.

Can't think of another way to do it with any pimped camera system.

CS
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Just found this............

Amazing what you find on the net.

My mate Peter Harman doing his thing at NAB with the AS range:

YouTube - Vinten Vision AS Demonstration

It does prompt the question: Is there a central repository for "VintenTV" articles that appear at the end of this video?

Can't find 'em on the Vinten web site.

CS
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
It does prompt the question: Is there a central repository for "VintenTV" articles that appear at the end of this video?
Is it the "vintentv" you're looking for?
Vinten | Vinten TV | www.vinten.com
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks, Christian........

Just the thing.

Can't imagine why I couldn't see it, must have been a senior moment.

Thanks again.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads