PD170, Bogen 503, now, what Legs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 24th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #1
John Carey

PD170, Bogen 503, now, what Legs?

Ok, I have decided to go for the Bogen 503 head. The 501 seems cool, but that whole sticking thing can ruin a shot. I dont have much of a budget left (200-300 Bucks or so) and I need to get a set of legs for the 503 head. (Im willing to search the used market if it is absolutley NEEDED)
Keep in mind, im using a PD170 on a 503 Head, and the most important priority is I have something that:

1. FAST and Easy to get a stable. That is the biggest priority, being that most of my shots will not have much time of preperation available.

2. Sturdy

Thanks alot for the help :-)
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My preference is the Bogen 3046/3246 (one is silver the other is black)-very sturdy and fairly quick to set up. I have 3 sets with 2 -501's and a 3063 for PD150's and VX1000 but have switched one to a 503 head for a DSR370 and the setup works fine.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Try Three

Oh and John I'd recommend getting three legs instead of a "pair" unless your shopping for a girl. Tripods tend to fall over with only two legs.

(Sorry I just couldn't resist)
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Tourist

I'm not sure why I don't see anyone mentioning the 755b. I tried out pretty much every Bogen tripod at the store and the 755b really has some awesome features for video, most noteably the level and half-ball, so readusting leg height isn't necessary.

I'd encourage you to check it out.
Noah Couchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

John how is it going?
Did you find your legs yet?
I am in the same position only i am yet to own a bogen 503 head.
Looking forward to buying triangular shaped legs something around 3246 to go with my 503 head. I was going for the 501 but figured i would upgrade later on so might as well upgrade now. I will be using trv950 with that setup.
Let us know how you end up though.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM   #6
New Boot

I just bought a couple of Manfrotto 525MVB leg/503 head kits. Comes with a padded bad. Nice setup so far. It has 2 stage double tube legs and a bottom spreader. The half bowl cuts down on the amount of time it takes to level.
Eric Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Eric I was considering that 525 and 503 combo at B&H. I would probably pay extra for the mid level spreader. How do you like the combo? It looks like the 525 and 503 are a good match. It's either this or a Miller DS-10 single stage for $200 more.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM   #8
John Carey

ok, 503 head, now, 755B VS 3046

BH Has two packages, both around the same price. The 503 head with the 755B and the 3046. What do you guys suggest?

John
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:35 PM   #9
Trustee

Bruce Johnson of DV Mag did a review of your head with a cool set
of carbon fiber legs. The head got a 3 and the legs got a 5, which is
the highest award. Probably not cheap, but they sounded very cool.
Maybe check out the dvmag site for the real numbers and specs.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:36 PM   #10
New Boot

I've been using it over the weekend. So far so good. Setup is pretty quick although I suspect it'll be faster with a mid level spreader.

You can't have the spreader at full spread and fold up the tripod. So it takes a little fiddling to retract and extend the spreader.

With the spreader at minimum, its pretty fast but a little tippy. I'm going to experiment and see if I can find an optimal spread that'll allow me to open and close without adjustments to the spreader.

The bowl makes levelling so much easier. It goes up pretty high with the double stage legs. Height depends on spread as well.

I really like the 503 head, but I admit I don't have that much experiece with other brands. Its just better that the cheaper stuff I used before. Works great with the XL1s and XM2. Manfrotto also sell the 558B monopod which accepts the same plate making easier to swap stuff around.

I've got a couple of 822c LANC remotes on order so I'll have something to say when it comes in.

Nice padded bag but the strap is optional. :(
Eric Foo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads