PD170, Bogen501-- Good Combo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 18th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #1
New Boot

PD170, Bogen501-- Good Combo?

Is anyone using a PD170/Bogen510head combo? I've just purchased both of these items, so I guess it's really too late to ask opinions. However, do you have any tricks/tips?

What else do I need to buy for have quick-release for this combo... if that's possible... PLEASE tell me it's possible!
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Darin,
The subject line says 501 and the post says 510. In either case they're both good tripod heads, the 510 is a truely professional fludi head while the 501, of which I have 3, aren't TRUE fluid heads but IMO work well. The head should have a plate that slides into the head release mechanisim, attach the plate to the camera, slide it into the head, you'll hear and feel a click then lock it down with the thumb screw (actually a half of a thumb screw) on the right side of the head and you're set to go.
Have fun and enjoy your new camera and tripod.
Don

BTW, which tripod legs did you get?

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #3
New Boot

Yes, a 501

My tripod (the 525MV-Black) came with the Bogen 501 head, and a Manfrotto 522-LANC remote. However, there's no plate with the head.

Do I have any choices when purchasing a plate? It sounds like your "slides" off the head. Is it possible to have a "lift" off? i.e. one where the camera clicks into place instead of sliding into place?
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

No I don't think so. The 501 slides in. The head comes with the 3433PL plate which should be inserted into the head. It has the 1/4-20 screww to screw into the camera sticking out of it and I've never gotten one where the plate wasn't in the head, BUT, it could be Bogen screwed up. Check for the plate and if it's not there you might be able to get one from where you got the tripod OR order one as it's only $19.95 +

Good Luck,
Don

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272983&is=REG
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5
Major Player

i have a 525mv with the 503 head and i wish i had gotten it sooner.

setup is a breeze, i wasted way too much time with my old tripod trying to get it level.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:22 AM   #6
New Boot

501 quick-release update

I went to a Manfrotto dealer in Halifax, Canada. I asked him about rapid-release for my 501 head, and he had the answer lickety-split. He showed me a quick-release adapter ($53CAN), which attaches on top of the Manfrotto 3433PL plate. This adapter holds the hexoganal plate ($35). With this set-up, there is a much better quick-release system... The camera LIFTS off the tripod instead of SLIDING out of the head. MUCH BETTER.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:16 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It sounds like you're talking about the 3063 head which is a step down from the 501. I have 1 of those heads also and actually the only thing I use it for now is 3rd cam that doesn't neeed to be removed or replaced on the tripod in a quick hurry. The is a definate movement and noise from R&Ring the camera from the head BUT if it will work for you go for it. After using the head in about 15 weddings about 2 or 3 years ago I switched. Maybe it'll work better for you.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads