Fairwell Sachtler DV-6SB at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Fairwell Sachtler DV-6SB

I have owned the Sachtler DV-6SB head for three years. It is truly an excellent head and I have been very happy with it. I was just notified that it is now discontinued. Anyone know if Sachtler has a replacement head?

Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle
Hi Dan.........

A quick scrute of the Sachtler web site would appear to throw up not one, but two contenders.

The FSB - 6T, 1 - 6 KG counterbalance range with Touch & Go plate.

FSB - 6, the same counterbalance rating but with the Sideload Plate.

Don't know anything about either plate as I've never played with them.

Don't think either will beat this:

Vinten Vision 3 AS Tripod (1 of 4) DV Info Net

Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
I think the DV6-SB has a payload up to 10kg. The FSB-6 has a max payload of 6kg and the FSB-8 is 8 or 10 kg. For lighter cameras, the FSB-6 is better - you get the same 10 steps of counterbalance but it's over 6kg rather than 10kg. The carbon fiber CF75 legs with quick setup are just sweet.

Of course, I bought my DV6-SB just before the FSB-6 was released, and I could've saved 600. Pfffft.

Either way, the DV6-SB is still a great piece of kit, and there's no compelling reason to change it to another Sachtler. Probably not as good as the Vinten Vision AS3, but for my purposes (i.e. a hobby) it's more than excellent.

The video reviews from NAB of the new Vintens are fantastic, they've thought of everything - a spare parts kit, a spare battery inside the head, somewhere to stow away the spare screws. Simple, but genius!
Irish Railway Videos on Youtube
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads