Looking for a travel tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for a travel tripod

I am looking for a tripod (head and sticks) that I can travel with relatively easily. In the past, I have used a Manfrotto 503 along with Manfrotto 755 sticks (I think that is what it was.) This was good for traveling as I seperate the head and the sticks, put them in my suitcase and draw a little less attention from curious customs officers.
The sticks were about 25 inches folded up so they fit into my rolling duffel rather easily. They weren't as solid as i liked, but they worked for interviews and locked down shots.

For a couple upcoming shoots, I will be using a Canon XH A1 with an adapter, monitor (and batteries), rails etc. There is no way the system I have can manage this. So a new tripod is in order.

The ideal would be...
Something that is light - entire system under 15 pounds if possible
Sticks that can fold up under 30" - around 26" would be even better
Something that can manage 20 pounds

I have been looking at the following options
Sachter CF 75 sticks - 4588
Manfrotto 519 head
Libec H55 head

Budget would be in the 1000-2000 range with a preference to be under 1500.

Thoughts?
Nate Clarke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads