DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachtler FSB6 Head + Miller Solo VJ ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/237441-sachtler-fsb6-head-miller-solo-vj.html)

Marcus Rieger June 16th, 2009 01:13 PM

Sachtler FSB6 Head + Miller Solo VJ ?

Hi there,

i recently bought a Panasonic HMC151 and i am now thinking about a tripod.
After some research i came up with a possible configuration:

Sachtler FSB6 Head
Miller Solo VJ Carbon Fiber Legs

Now i am still not sure if i shouldn´t go with a cheaper solution. But would this be a good combination, would it even work? The Miller has a 100mm bowl and the sachtler fsb6 has 75mm. So i what i would need is a step down ring, i guess? Any suggestions?
The Miller Solo DV Legs have a 75mm bowl, but i like the greater maximum hight of the VJ Legs.
Another thing i like about the Miller legs is, that they have no spreaders, but i wonder if that really is a durable and stable solution??

Ahh buying a tripod... even more difficult than buying a camera.. :)

Chris Soucy June 16th, 2009 03:20 PM

Hi Marcus....................

This just about says it all:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...-solution.html

Don't do the Solo's.

CS

Marcus Rieger June 17th, 2009 02:16 AM

Thanks! Hm now i have to reconsider. I have to say thats the first time i heard bad things about the miller legs.

Any other suggestions for a tripod with a maximum hight of about 180cm?

Andy Shipsides June 17th, 2009 08:34 AM

The new Miller Compass DV series is pretty awesome actually. They are similar to the Sacthler FSB series.

Jack Walker June 17th, 2009 08:08 PM

If you are considering the Miller tripod, look at the Gitzo. I have the Gitzo
GT3541XLS:
Gitzo | GT3541XLS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3541XLS

It is very light and VERY rigid. More rigid than the Miller.
The version I link is the extra long version. Max height: 198 cm

The same tripod comes in a shorter version. Max heigth: 146 cm
Gitzo | GT3541LS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3541LS

The platform on this tripod is interchangeable with a flat top, a 75mm bowl, and a 100mm bowl.

If you get the tall version, you get the flat top standard and have to buy the 75mm bowl adapter separately:
Gitzo | GS5320V75 75mm Bowl Adapter | GS5320V75 | B&H Photo Video

However, if you want the standard version (166cm), you can get it with the 75mm bowl adapter included:
Gitzo | GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3531LSV

I use this tripod with a Gitzo head (75mm) and a Cartoni head (100mm). As I said, it is VERY rigid, and very lightweight.

Nevertheless, if the weight and bulk are not important, the CF tripods that come with the FSB heads are VERY nice. Fast and easy to setup.

I think the Sachlter or the Gitzo would be fine. I don't like the Miller, myself, but many do.

I use a Gitzo head, but I think you would probably be happier with the Sachtler FSB6 OR FSB8.

If you can, see the tripods in person before buying. There are differences in them that are not obvious from pictures and descriptions.

Here is the Gitzo head, just for reference:
Gitzo | G1380 Video Fluid Head (75mm Ball Base) | G1380 | B&H

Also for reference, here is the Gitzo 100mm bowl interface:
Gitzo | GS5320V100 Bowl Interface 100mm | GS5320V100 | B&H Photo

(Note: to me, the Gitzo tripods do not twist at all and are more stable than the Sachtler of the same size. However, the Gitzo tripods are light weight, and in a wind you might want to hand a weight from the center... which you might want to do no matter what tripod you were using.)

I have not seen the new Miller Compass tripods mentioned in another post here.

D.J. Ammons June 17th, 2009 10:27 PM

I have the FSB6 head on Satchler legs and like them a lot. I end up using the less expensnive and not quite as good Manfrotto 503HDV a lot more though because it is on a 475B tripod with geared center column that I usually need to get above the heads of crowds at music shoots and shoots where there is no balcony. I have Sony V1U's.

Jack Walker June 18th, 2009 12:32 AM

You say you use a center column, so I will mention that the Gitzo tripods can also take a center column (though usually not used for video, as they need a flat-base head... though there are flat-base video heads, such as some of the Bogens). Here is the center column for the Series 3 Gitzo tripods:
Gitzo | GS3310S Compact Aluminum Rapid Center Column - | GS3310S

The tripods I link above are Gitzo Series 3. However, I will mention that Gitzo also has heavier legs in Series 4 and 5. Here is an example of a Series 5 tripod (that still uses interchangeable head interfaces):
Gitzo | GT-5561SGT Giant Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber | GT5561SGT
This one has heavier legs and this is the giant version that goes up to 260cm.

This takes the same 75mm or 100mm bowl interfaces, or it can take a Series 5 center column:
Gitzo | GS5310GS Compact Aluminum Geared Center | GS5310GS | B&H

Obviously this is more info than needed for your situation, but the Gitzo tripods are very nice if their features meet your specific needs.

Marcus Rieger June 18th, 2009 03:18 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I will look into the gitzos and will hopefully be able to try them out somewhere!