Tripod for Sony EX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #31
Major Player

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
I believe I'm sold on the Miller DV20 system. I really like the stick design for the work that I do and it seems the DS-20 is a smaller footprint than the Sachtler, which I need for travel.

Any Miller DS-20/Solo CF owners carried on their tripod in the soft case?
The case is okay - it is mildly reinforced around the area that the head sits to offer a modicum of protection against knocks. It's really designed for handheld use though. That said, the legs themselves come with a heavy-duty reinforced and padded strap for run&gun production or, I suspect, mild hiking. Haven't tried it like this yet for balance, but have no qualms about comfort (nice strap) or weight.

Been using mine the past couple of days on a ENG-style shoot in southern Trinidad. Light, extremely sturdy and well built, no 'springback' and the carbon fibre legs are as smooth as butter but seem stiffer than I'd expect aluminium to be. Very pleased with the fit and finish overall (aside from the lurid yellow mini lever and plate release). The head has given a very smooth response so far, easily the equal of a Vinten I used on a shoot a couple of weeks ago. Used a friend's DVX100B, loaded with a Litepanels Miniplus head and battery and a Sennheiser G100 receiver. No problem.

The head is fine but the legs are great. With a camera loaded up for feature use, I use my bigger tripod though.

Jus.

Last edited by Justin Benn; August 27th, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: didn't answer the question.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #32
Regular Crew

EX3, What tripod / head do you use?

Hi

I've only had my EX3 a short time and went for a country drive / filming, on a fairly windy day recently.

I use a Manfrotto 055CLB tripod and Manfrotto 501 head.

I found that the EX3 is a good sized wind catcher.

Lots of camera shake and I don't think my combination of Tripod and Head does this camera justice.

Without spending thousands of dollars, what do people find is an acceptable combination for this camera

Cheers

Michael

Ps. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, so apologies in advance
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Michael I use the EX1 with some extra gear like Zacuto shoulder rig, shot gun, all on the tripod at the same time. Gitzo 1380 head and Gitzo carbon legs. Been using this rig for 18 months and love it for my run and gun style.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #34
Contributor

I had that same Gitzo package a few years ago. It's the best tripod/head there is for the money, I think.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I agree Bill I tried about 15 different options and the Gitzo seemed to be the smoothest. Also the springs give you 6 options from 2-23 lbs. I tend to go one above the recommended load of my gear. The drag is very smooth and loads of adjustment. Also came with a nice bag.

Not sure what I will buy next for a bigger camera. I recommend testing what every you can at a rental house or a store like B&H. It changed my mind to have the first hand experience.

Forgot to mention very fast to level.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; November 16th, 2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: leveling
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Tripod Head for Sony EX3?

I have recently purchased a PMW EX3, my current tripod for my old camera is a manfrotto 128RC head with a 190D set of legs. I really like how the legs work on this tripod, but i think the head is too small and weak (4Kg load) to handle my new camera and i dare not try. I don't know about the legs, but i assume they have a larger load capacity.

I wasn't even aware you could remove a tripod head, so i don't even know if this is feasible.

Even though the camera is large, it only has one screw point. How should i go about gearing up for this camera without spending too much. I can't spend into the K's (AU) for a tripod though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly new to this forum and to the complexities of tripods, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks so much

Glynn
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Glynn.............

Sigh, here we go again.

OK, some preliminary light reading:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...non-xh-a1.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...pod-mount.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...selection.html

DV Info Net Review: Vinten FiberTec Video Tripod by Chris Soucy, Part 1 of 5

Now, back to that "I can't spend into the K's" comment.

How much have you just lashed out on the cam?

With all the bells, whistles, bits and bob's?

How much do you have left over for a support system?

Please don't say $500, cos' if you do, you're in fairy land territory (IMPO).

Just so I don't come across as ALL negative:

IMPO you need a tripod (100 mm bowl preferably) that can hold at least 25 Kg's and a matching 100 Ball head capable of holding up to 10 Kg with continuously variable couterbalancing from go to whoa.

The Sachtler DSB6 (and up) range seem to be some of the few that ticks all the boxes.

Don't think you'll get one of those for $500.

Do some reading and tell us what you think.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #38
Regular Crew

thanks for the info!
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #39
Inner Circle

If you have a little cash look second hand a "proper" tripods like old Sachtler Panorama 7+7, Video 18, Ronford F4 etc. On Ebay and BBlist you can get these for between £500 and £1000, and the difference between them and the Manfrotto junk is night and day.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #40
Trustee

Chris is right about the Sachtler DV6-SB. It cost me an arm and a leg (GB£1600 - about AUS$3000), it's the bare minimum for "pro" work, I'd say.

I love mine so much I could eat it!
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #41
Major Player

I have a Miller DS20 for my EX3. Outstanding unit, Australian too.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #42
Regular Crew

How about the Manfrotto HDV 503 and the 535 MPro? What is the actual downside to having this sort of "junk" compared to other brands? Is it that they can't hold 35mm adapters or?
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #43
Major Player

A good tripod will last you your entire career, so it's worth investing in a decent one. Things to looks for are height adjustability, a good leveling bowl, adjustable drag on tilt and pan, smooth tilt and pan, easy lock offs, suitable tilt spring rate to match your camera weight, strength and build quality, not being too light, a good range of accessories such as spreaders, wheels, dollies. These things you just don't get with cheaper models.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn Morgan View Post
How about the Manfrotto HDV 503 and the 535 MPro? What is the actual downside to having this sort of "junk" compared to other brands? Is it that they can't hold 35mm adapters or?
There are 2 main differences; firstly the counterbalance on pro heads tends to work much better, and secondly it's the movement, as the expensive heads use proper fluid modules whereas the cheaper ones are just fine silicon grease (so in fact they are not "fluid" heads at all but friction heads, they used to be called "fluid-effect" heads). If you compare a Ronford Baker to a Manfrotto you'd know immediately!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Best tripod for the EX3 - What do you use?

We are about to buy 2 Tripods for our 2 EX3 Camera's.

Obviously there are many options out there.

we are looking at the Sachtler FSB – 6 MD

in your opinion is this large enough or should we go slightly larger?

any help and suggestions of other options would be of great help.

Thank you.
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads