Tripod for Sony EX3 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #61
Major Player

Update - exchanging heads

Hi all

Well, NAB's over and Tom McKay replied very quickly that the unit I have is probably one of the earliest ones and to send it in for a current model head.

So thank you Tom and the folks of Varizoom for supporting their products so completely!

More as it happens.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #62
Major Player

EX3 solution

I recently bought a Sony EX3 and quickly realized my Sachtler wasn't big enough to handle it. To save a few bucks I bought a Miller DS 20 with the SOLO sticks. It sucked, big time. All you had to do was blow on it and your shot would wabble. I sent it back to B&H (they were terrific about taking it back) and ordered the Sachtler FSB8 with quick release carbon fiber legs. It's awesome! And Sachtler gives you an extra screw for the mounting plate... which is great, since the EX3 has two 1/4" screw holes. Steady as a rock, and smooth as butter.

I was a Sachtler fan before. I should have trusted my gut and got the Sachtler again this time. But I tried to save a couple hundred bucks. Man, Am I glad I caught my mistake in time.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Hi Charles.........

Absolutely no suprises in that story for me, been telling bods not to do it (Solo's + HD video) since I was knee high to a grasshopper, er, ok, last year, er, or was it 07?

Glad to have it proved so convincingly by a "real world" test.

Even more glad you managed to undo the mistake without it costing big bickies.

Thanks for the feedback, Charles.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Thanks from me too - I was recently considering Miller DS20 and Solo sticks for my EX3 but put that purchase on hold due to other concerns over this tripod.
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #65
Inner Circle

O'Connor 1030 would be my choice, not sure how the prices compare, but for quality I think it would be leauges ahead of the Sachtlers especially with long lenses.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Bowl size ?

What bowl size would be suitable for the EX3 and support rails, using 35mm lenses - is 75mm adequate or should it be 100mm ?

Thanks
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #67
Major Player

Need help EX3 Tripod Question?

Hello all..

I own the EX3 and I am using my (left over from my Betacam days) Sachtler Video 20 head, which is really too big for the EX3.
So, I want to get a tripod that really fits the camera, as I would like to stay with a Sachtler product....so any suggestions out there?

thanks
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM   #68
Inner Circle

If you're using long lenses then the bigger the better.
If you stick with 100mm tripods you're in the realms of much more serious heads, only the amateur models use 75mm.
Steve
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Why is the Video 20 too big? If you have it already I'd carry on using it, unless you're trying to save lots of weight. The problem when you go down to smaller heads is you tend to get into the leagues of amateurish heads, and if you're used to a quality one like the Video 20 you may be disappointed!
Steve
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #70
Major Player

I have owned a Sachtler Hipod tripod for years.... Yes, it is big & heavy, but my camera pans & moves are like silk, and it is worth it to tote this heavy tripod around.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #71
Sponsor: Westside AV

I love the Miller Solo for EX3, it is light and very smooth. I have the Carbon legs, they are padded and very light easy to lug around.

I load the Cam down with Mattebox IDX batteries on cam lights 7" monitor and even Teleprompter sometimes and the Solo handles it really well.

I have used the heads in -10 ℉ below and heads are still really smooth.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #72
Sponsor: Westside AV

I really like the Miller Solo sticks and head, 75mm bowl is fine.

The Miller Solo 75mm bowl is way better than a Bogen 507 100mm and lighter too. I have owned both. I sometimes really load the camera up mattebox, wide angle lens even teleprompter sometimes, and the Solo hold up fine.

Go to a showroom and try some different setups. It is not just a question of bowl size, it is the quality of the head.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #73
Major Player

OK...I do love my Video 20, but I come up short when I have to rent out another tripod when the Betacam is out on a rental...so I was wanting to:

1. get a back up for the EX3
2. when I travel and take the EX3, a small tripod for it that I could take apart and put it in one of my Pelican cases...as to save on bags when I travel my air..( a producer that I work with wants me to cut down on the bags to save some bucks, a sign of the times)

I know what you mean as I dont want a small "consumer" grade tripod....but one small enough to do the job.

thanks
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I love the Miller Solo for EX3, it is light and very smooth. I have the Carbon legs, they are padded and very light easy to lug around.

I load the Cam down with Mattebox IDX batteries on cam lights 7" monitor and even Teleprompter sometimes and the Solo handles it really well.

I have used the heads in -10 ℉ below and heads are still really smooth.
What's it like for panning...is there any kick back?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Sachtler FSB4 or FSB6 head with Quick Lock legs. I have the 4 using with EX1. You might want the 6 for the EX3.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads