DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod for Ex1 for a grand? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/239751-tripod-ex1-grand.html)

Denny Kyser July 25th, 2009 09:43 PM

Tripod for Ex1 for a grand?

The Sony Ex1 weighs 5.3 lbs, I will have a shotgun mic on it, and an audio bag hooked to the legs with a SD 302 mixer. I do not put lights on the cam, I have them on a seperate stand, if I did ever put one on would only be an small led.

I really want to stay around $1000.00 or less if possible and still get a decent setup.
I want as much quality in the head, I can upgrade the sticks later and throw my Bogen 503 head on the sticks that come with whatever kit I get now.

There are so many choices and hard to tell what to get, some have no reviews.

I see this one mentioned several times, but do not see any reviews.

Miller | DS-10 Aluminum Tripod System | 828 | B&H Photo Video

I am hoping to get something better than my bogen 503 head.

Thanks for any info

Les Nagy July 26th, 2009 03:28 AM

I strongly suggest you look for a different head than the Miller DS-10 or DS-20.

Read my review here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...0-solo-cf.html

I know nothing about those legs but if you consider this:
Sachtler | 0442 FSB-6 with ENG75-2D and Mid-Level Spreader

I am sure you will happier than the Miller in every way. The legs are almost free so if you aren't happy with them you can step up to legs that are highly recommended by Jack Walker:
Gitzo | GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3531LSV

The Vinten stuff is highly recommended by Chris Soucy too but the head that would be good for you is not in stock by itself yet at B&H.

DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR TRIPOD SYSTEM! It will cost you in the long run.

Jack Walker July 28th, 2009 12:36 AM

I agree with Les about the Sachtler FSB-6 head -- the aluminum legs are the least expensive combo.

If at all possible, go see the heads in person. Take your camera. Unless you are familiar with them, it's not possible to really understand the differences, the good points, the bad points about the heads without seeing them and trying them.

A few years ago I needed a tripod for a show for a PD170. I was going to upgrade my 20 year old Velbon video tripod to a Bogen. In the store, the Bogen heads were all inferior to the Velbon. When I asked about the slop when I quickly changed panning directions from one side to the other, the salesperson said I wasn't using the head right, I needed to come to a smooth stop slowly when panning one direction, hold, then slowly move into a pan the other direction. Right....

For the show I used my Velbon and all worked out well.

Next, I bought a Cartoni Alpha, used, and it worked great, for panning, tilting, etc. However, the counterbalance was inadequate, and the camera had to be locked or held. (Though I still have the head, and I used the legs, on a Cartoni Dolly, to support a Cartoni jib, which is great for what I need.)

Next I bought a Gitzo 1380. It is great, especially since I have different weight cameras, and I can change the spring. It has continuous drag controls I can set exactly like I want.

However, both the Cartoni and the Gitzo are a bit tricky when locking and unlocking in order to get the head from jarring.

Next I saw the new FSB-6 at a show. I could lock and unlock the head with absolutely no jarring. I recommended this head to a friend, then another, and they both like it very much.

I stick with the Gitzo, because I a smaller gitzo set of legs, a tiny Gitzo head and several video and still cameras with Gitzo plates (and a monopod), and everything works on everything else, so for me that is fine. (By the way, the gitzo plate is the same as one of the Bogen plates, so buying the extra plates came at a reasonable price.)

I use Gitzo legs for the rigidity and the small size and weight. However, each section has to be individually extended and locked (with a screw collar), so a traditional tripod is easier and more convenient for people who don't mind the extra weight and bulk and want an easier setup. The Sachtler CF legs with the one-touch feature is great. (There is another tripod, and I don't recall which one, but I think it was made by O'connor, not sure, where the entire tripod, all three legs and all sections unlocked and locked with a single lever. This is great from someone doing multiple setups on uneven terrain and working alone.)

But back to the topic. I have found that the $700-$1000 range for a tripod and head to lack luster. It seems to be a dead spot. To get top quality and happiness it is necessary to spend $1300 to $2000. For general and very servicable use the $300-$500 tripods are respectable. For the truly budget minded the $75-$200 models from China or thereabouts make a lot of people happy.

However, the $500-$1100 price range has a lot of stuff that wants to be better but just doesn't make it. Now I am talking about the 13 lb. range.

But again, go see and try if at all possible. The reality of tripods and heads is much different in person than when reading about them.

Denny Kyser July 28th, 2009 07:21 AM

Thanks Jack, I wish I had a pro video store around here, I know of no video store with in hours of me. Luckily there are forums like this to get this kind of information.

Denny

Christopher McCord July 28th, 2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1176764)
I strongly suggest you look for a different head than the Miller DS-10 or DS-20.

Read my review here:

I am sure you will happier than the Miller in every way. The legs are almost free so if you aren't happy with them you can step up to legs that are highly recommended by Jack Walker:

The Vinten stuff is highly recommended by Chris Soucy too but the head that would be good for you is not in stock by itself yet at B&H.

Les Nagy,

I own the Gitzo GT3541LS legs, and intend to buy the Gitzo GS5121LV Leveling Base but need a suggestion of a good Fluid Video Head to put on these legs, that isn't TOP OF THE LINE expensive...maybe in the $400-$700 range?

Les Nagy July 28th, 2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher McCord (Post 1177736)
Les Nagy,

I own the Gitzo GT3541LS legs, and intend to buy the Gitzo GS5121LV Leveling Base but need a suggestion of a good Fluid Video Head to put on these legs, that isn't TOP OF THE LINE expensive...maybe in the $400-$700 range?

Are you still planning on using it for a 5D MKII, or do you now have an EX1? Weight is a bit of an issue as to what head will be suitable.

Denny Kyser July 28th, 2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1176764)

Read my review here:

I took your advice and ordered the Sachtler one. Thanks

Les Nagy July 28th, 2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 1177773)
I took your advice and ordered the Sachtler one. Thanks

I know you will be very happy with the head, but don't know how good those legs are. Please let us know how you like them when you get it. As I said, the legs are almost free in that price so if you need to upgrade them it won't be a loss. If they aren't as good as you want for video they will make killer still photo legs with a bowl adapter.

Christopher McCord July 28th, 2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1177749)
Are you still planning on using it for a 5D MKII, or do you now have an EX1? Weight is a bit of an issue as to what head will be suitable.

I don't want to threadjack, so you might have to PM me.
I'm using the 5D Mark II.

Garrett Low July 28th, 2009 12:40 PM

I've got the DV6SB with the 75mm CF speed lock legs. I love the head and in most cases the legs are very good. I do wish they were a little stiffer which would end up making them heavier too. I've thought about getting the 75mm to 100mm adapter and getting the DA-100ENG HD legs. to use with my DV6SB head.

-Garrett

Les Nagy July 28th, 2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher McCord (Post 1177830)
I don't want to threadjack, so you might have to PM me.
I'm using the 5D Mark II.

Then lets talk in your thread!

Denny Kyser July 28th, 2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nagy (Post 1177792)
I know you will be very happy with the head, but don't know how good those legs are. Please let us know how you like them when you get it. As I said, the legs are almost free in that price so if you need to upgrade them it won't be a loss. If they aren't as good as you want for video they will make killer still photo legs with a bowl adapter.

I have some Gitzo 6x fiber legs I use when using my 300 2.8 IS lens, I believe they are rated for the 600 mm Canon lens which ways twice what the EX1 does. I have interchanging heads/columns for it, and bet its the same 75mm bowl that the video head is. I will check it out and let you know. I know they were around $900.00 and are ROCK solid.

I also have some decent bogen legs if the legs that come with it are too cheap, it was the head I was after, and am sure the legs can be used for the 5d II.

Thanks again for the help