5d mkii portable tripod suggestions, please? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5d mkii portable tripod suggestions, please?

Hi, I am looking for some portable tripod suggestions, right now I am liking the idea of this combo:
Gitzo GT1541T legs
Gitzo G2180 head

Thoughts? Yay? Nay?

Any thoughts on the Benro C-069?

This is of course not an inexpensive combo, so if anyone has any suggestions for a duo that would do almost as good (or better) at a better/comparable price point that would be nice. I won't be mounting anything longer than 200mm, no battery grip, just a 5d a lens and sometimes a glidetrack compact or rails/ff. Maybe a mic, h4, or monitor once in awhile too.

Top notch pans are not crucial to me, as, in general, I prefer static shots anyway, but the ability to pan decently would be swell! I have access to heavier tripods, I just want something of my own that I don't dread carrying around as I travel primarily on foot. Thanks!
Ericsson San Pablo Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Seeing as you are already considering Gitzo, you really should consider stepping up to a bit higher level of leg as recommended by Jack Walker. Only a bit more money but probably a lot stiffer and more suited to video work with its 75mm bowl.
Gitzo | GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3531LSV

As far as that Gitzo head goes, I have no experience but I sincerely doubt it is suited for anything more than holding the camera in one spot. If that is all you want to do then I am sure it will work fine but it will not fit a 75mm bowl without an adapter. A bowl is very important to get level setup without a lot of hassle. When you realize it is far too simple a head to do any kind of good video work you will not have spent too much money and will at least have good legs to start with.

If you want to step up a bit on the head, and live with its shortcomings then perhaps this would be a good start for you:
Libec | H38 Professional Fluid Head | H38 | B&H Photo Video
EDIT: maybe this head would be more suitable for the weight you want to run:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
The 38 has a fixed counterbalance that is too strong.

I have no direct experience with the Libec head but a few people have started with it and it is probably a big step up from that Gitzo for anything video.

I find it hard to make recommendations for cheap gear but the tripod is good, and the Libec head is probably better than your expectations and only a bit more for the whole package that you were looking at.

For serious HD video work, it doesn't matter what the camera, you need to spend $1400+ for a tripod system. Even then that might be too low.

Just say NO to Benro. I have seen their products and although they look like good bang for the buck, the break easily and have some pretty rough spots in the construction that you can't see.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsson San Pablo Chu View Post

Any thoughts on the Benro C-069?
I just want something of my own that I don't dread carrying around as I travel primarily on foot. Thanks!
You might be able to carry it by yourself but will you have an assistant who can screw and unscrew those legs all day long?
I had a similar style set of legs and I hate them. I will only ever use snap lock style release and lock. The screw type take forever to adjust.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads