DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod head loose or locked for transport? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/250541-tripod-head-loose-locked-transport.html)

Max Allen August 7th, 2009 08:28 AM

Tripod head loose or locked for transport?

Hi folks,

After spending thousands of dollars on a tripod system you want to take care of it properly. Is it better to keep the drag and / or break locks on the head loose or locked when you are transporting the system, and why?

Steve Phillipps August 7th, 2009 08:59 AM

I'd been told by Sachtler a long while back that you should set all drag to 0 and counterbalance off, then lock the pan and tilt locks. But others said they'd been told the opposite.
Steve

Don Bloom August 7th, 2009 10:14 AM

personally I prefer loose so if they get banged around the head will move a bit. I'm afraid if the head is locked and some gorilla manhandles it something might go kadiwaumpus (nice word huh?)
Could be the wrong thing to do but it's just a personal thing.

Jon Fairhurst August 7th, 2009 10:37 AM

I lock mine, simply because it has a strong spring, and the handles only stay flat with the legs when I lock it. It fits in my trunk better that way. I guess I could do the same with a strap.

Frankly, give it enough pressure and the locks slip, so I don't think that locking it makes it more prone to damage.

Adam Bauser August 7th, 2009 12:26 PM

I assume we're talking about plane travel? I actually take the head off the sticks and pack it in the middle of suit case surrounded by lots of cushioning. I keep the handles off even when I just lugging it around myself.

Kevin Spahr August 16th, 2009 03:50 PM

Sachtler has video at sachtler: ideas_in_motion and around 4:25 on the fluid head video, they discuss transport settings...

They say to put settings to maximum drag, and open the brakes.

Allan Black August 16th, 2009 07:41 PM

So they do, well who'd of thunk it. That's an unusual combo, you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Miller here in Sydney say, for bagged travel unlock the brakes on their DS5/10/20 heads.

Cheers.

Steve Phillipps August 17th, 2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1192641)
I lock mine, simply because it has a strong spring, and the handles only stay flat with the legs when I lock it. It fits in my trunk better that way. I guess I could do the same with a strap.

Can you not set the spring to zero? I'd have thought that leaving the spring locked in one position would be the worst thing to do as maybe it'd get set in the position.

As for Sachtler saying tighten drag and leave locks open I am surprised, not what they told me years ago.

I wonder if we're all worrying a bit much about nothing here though, maybe these things are only really an issue if the head is sitting on a shelf for 5 years.

Steve

Kevin Spahr August 17th, 2009 05:27 AM

Yea, I just happened across the video and thought I'd add it to the discussion - don't really know what to think. Other makers may recommend something different...

Taylor Kruse August 17th, 2009 07:44 PM

My Sachtler FSB-4 manual states:

"Transportation: During transport both brakes should be
opened. Damping should not be set to “0” position.
If it is set to “0” position, the shocks from transportation
cannot be absorbed."

It also states: "To ensure smooth operation of the setting rings over the
long life time period of the fluid head, you should turn both
setting rings from position “0” to maximum position, before
and after the use of the fluid head."

So, it seems like they state that the damping should be on the maximum setting unless you are actually using the head.

Max Allen August 18th, 2009 12:20 AM

Any kind of transportation applies, not just plane travel. Accidents happen and since a tripod must be relegated to transporting out of sight unlike a camera, unsuitable for a pelican case, and usually in a soft case if not bare naked, you want to set the head so impacts can be absorbed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1232696)
I wonder if we're all worrying a bit much about nothing here though, maybe these things are only really an issue if the head is sitting on a shelf for 5 years.

Steve

If it's about transportation, not at all. Storage is a different ball of wax. Taylor touched on it a la Sachtler...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor Kruse (Post 1236038)
My Sachtler FSB-4 manual states:

"shocks from transportation."

For plane I'd suggest a hard case like Tuff pack or A&J and padding the inside with other items, foam or a soft case.