DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   about tripod....what is a good tripod for a pd150 ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/25214-about-tripod-what-good-tripod-pd150.html)

Kervin Yu April 27th, 2004 12:41 PM

about tripod....what is a good tripod for a pd150 ??

Ok this sounds like a stupid question initially.. likue asking who deep is a hole...??
BUT
i mean what is a good tripod for the pd150 with out too much over kill. I do not want to regret a purchase of a cheap and bad tripod... so a good tripod is important to me. SOOOO any recommendations??
thanks guys...
fluid head??
100mm ball?
3 stage 2 stage ??
15lbs/22lbs/30 lbs?? etc.. ??
Oh one last thing... is there a huge difference in quality of a $5000 sachler and 1 2000 bogen???
what is the diffence??
thanks again

Gareth Watkins April 27th, 2004 02:19 PM

Hi Kervin

Like anything else in video you pays for what you gets...

I'd suggest a Manfrotto/Bogen model with a 501 head...A good solid and very functional pod for reasonable money...

I use this head, levelling ball and Gitzo legs and find it excellent with a light DV camcorder. I've seen critisism of the Manfrotto head... but I find it fine... smooth and good for pans and following action shots....

I've used top of the range Vinten pods for TV with Betacams and honestly can't fault this pod with a Sony TRV950/PDX10 type set up...

If you do a search on tripods here there is a lot of good info....
Cheers
Gareth

Mike Rehmus April 27th, 2004 06:43 PM

Re: about tripod....what is a good tripod for a pd150 ??

<<<-- Originally posted by Kervin Yu : Ok this sounds like a stupid question initially.. likue asking who deep is a hole...??
BUT
i mean what is a good tripod for the pd150 with out too much over kill. I do not want to regret a purchase of a cheap and bad tripod... so a good tripod is important to me. SOOOO any recommendations??
thanks guys...
fluid head??

You reall do want a 'real' fluid head. That means that most Bogen's are out. I'd go with a Miller or Satchler if you can afford them. Great units.

100mm ball?

75 is minimum but I like the 100 mm stability.

3 stage 2 stage ??

2 stage is most common. You have to define how high you want to go.

Mid-spreader is always a good idea.

15lbs/22lbs/30 lbs?? etc.. ??

Do you mean camera weight or tripod system weight? The system has to match the camera weight if you want the counterbalance to work (and there is no good reason to lug around a heavier and usually more expensive rig anyway).

I like a fairly light tripod but flyweight doesn't do me any good as I don't run and gun with a tripod. I'd guess you want something under 15 pounds.

Oh one last thing... is there a huge difference in quality of a $5000 sachler and 1 2000 bogen???
what is the diffence??

Yes, clearly between a Sachler and a Bogen. More subtle in some of the others.

Once you think about paying this much for a tripod, you really ought to go try them out.

thanks again -->>>

Paul Chun April 27th, 2004 07:32 PM

Would you recommend a Miller DS5 setup with a single stage tripod or 2 stage tripod? Is the DS5 head enough for a PD150/170? or would the DS10 be better?

Mike Rehmus April 27th, 2004 07:34 PM

Paul,

Talk directly with Miller. They are the experts and will stand behind their recommendation, something we cannot do.

I always want more height so I'd go for a 2-stage if possible.

Paul Chun April 27th, 2004 07:36 PM

Thanks Mike,

I'm debating on whether to go with a Miller setup for a Bogen setup. The Bogen would be the 525MVB with a 503 head and 523 LANC controller. This would be about $800-$900 dollars with a educational discount.

Millers are more expensive and it doesn't appear that they offer educational discounts. The Miller 2 stage setups are around $1300 at B&H. I know its a better tripod but would I noticed that much of a difference with a PD170?

Mike Rehmus April 27th, 2004 09:43 PM

Absolutely. There is no comparison between the 2 product lines when it comes to moving your camera smoothly in any condition.

I've got a 30 year old Miller head that will hold its own with anything made by Bogen. And Miller will still repair that head if it ever needs work.