manfrotto combo 128RC/755B any experience? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 11th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #1
New Boot

manfrotto combo 128RC/755B any experience?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences and thoughts on the manfrotto 128RC head and the 755B legs?

I read so far in the forum that the legs are not spiked and have got a centre colum. Some people seem to think that the centre colum makes it unstable and isn't handy or good. I got an offer for this combo for $300.

Any info very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The center column will decrease stability. If you want to see a pic of the pod.

Go to... http://www.bogenimaging.us/

I have never heard of the 128rc head and could not find it on the website.

It's difficult to comment if this kit is suitable or worth the money without knowing which head this is and what type of cam you will be using on it.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Nick,

thanks for your reply!

The head can be seen at :

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=9&itemid=287

and I will be using a DVX100A.

Thanks,

Raoul
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What a dope I am. Now I know the 128RC, in fact I owned one for a few days. I would have recognized it with the 3130 model number.

I don't think that you will be happy with the 128RC (3130). I think that you will want a sliding Quick Release plate to balance the weight of your DVX110A. Also, you will probably want a tilt and pan lock. It would also be nice to have an internal spring balance.

When I bought my first tripod for my VX2100, I started with the 128RC head. There was no provision for balancing the cam and no tilt lock. The camera would drop -- nose down. If I cranked the friction knob tight enough to keep the cam from going down on its own, it was then too stiff for a tilt. I took it back and got the 501 (3433) because it has a sliding QR plate that I thought would solve the problem. Wrong...it didn't. I wound up getting a Miller DS10 which solved these problems but I am not completely happy with it. When I pan left and release the handle the cam slowly creeps back to the right a little bit. The same thing happens in both directions. This is especially obvious on a long zoom. If I hold the handle for 5 seconds, it seems to help. Still, this is annoying and I don't think it should be doing it at all but this is the first fluid head that I have owned so I don't know.

The Miller DS10 has tilt & pan locks, a sliding QR plate and an internal spring balancing mechanism that has two positions; one for a 5 pound cam and the other for a 10 pound cam. I like everything about it but the rebounding problem. I hope the problem resolves itself with use. I just don't want to spend any more money.

From the positive comments that I have heard on Vinten Vision 3, I think that it is the only head that I would consider in the future.

If you want to stick with Bogen/Manfrotto, I think the least that I would recommend is the 503, if I remember correctly. If I am right, it is the one with internal springs. I don't think that it is a real fluid head though. If I am right, you won't have any rebound problems but you may have some stiction problems instead. I experienced this with the 501. When initiating a pan, the head sticks momentarily and starts the pan with a jolt. This would ruin any video instantly, in my opinion.

When I was doing my own research on buying a kit, everyone was saying, "break the bank and get the best tripod you can". Only experience really teaches you and now, I understand. I still have time to return the Miller and may do so. I didn't want to spend more than $500 on a kit but I may end up spending nearly $2000. You just can't get a really good kit for less. Shameful, but true.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads