Midrange tripod - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 18th, 2002, 02:21 PM   #46

You can "adjust" it only to a point. First, you can adjust the plate by moving the screws to the forward or rearward holes (this would "move" the center of gravity of the camera), depending on where they are originally. Second, once the plate is on the camera and both are mounted on the head, you can slide the camera so far forward or aft that the weight negates the self-center mechanism, causing the entire camera with head to lean forward or backward.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 11:48 PM   #47
Slash Rules!

Is there a certain way you've found to work best?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #48

I'm using the self-leveling option. At the risk of sounding critical, and alluding to an earlier post, I've decided to learn how to work with the equipment, rather than trying to make it do something it wasn't designed to do. More often than not, there is a learning curve on my part, but that should be expected.

By-the-way, I only have one pan arm. The only time I've ever used two was on pedestal mounted camera in the studio.
Old August 19th, 2002, 11:44 AM   #49
Slash Rules!

Okay. I've heard having two pan arms is a good thing. . .just wanted some other opinions.
Old August 19th, 2002, 11:52 AM   #50
Warden

I've only used them in the studio, also. I think they would be a little awkward in the field.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #51
Slash Rules!

Awkward how? I've heard they add stability. Right now I have to hunch over the camera and put my left hand on the lens, right hand on the pan arm.
Old August 19th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #52

I can't imagine how a second pan arm would make a camera more stable. The second arm on a pedestal mounted camera is a matter of function and control. All the camera/pedestal controls are on the two arms.

Cameras used in the field and cameras used in the studio are configured the way they are for a reason--the way they're used, where they're used and what they're shooting.

Elsewhere, you talked about problems with extreme pans--that second arm will make a difficult situation even more so!
Old August 19th, 2002, 12:58 PM   #53
Warden

I do a lot of follow shots in the field (hawks, eagles, ospreys in flight) and you think its tough to get a pan smooth because of the tripod legs, wait till you try it with 2 handles. Of course it's a personal thing, but I find it really awkward.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #54
Slash Rules!

Ok. . .I remember several other people saying how they'd definitely have more stability if they'd had another pan arm, but I'll take your word for it.
Old August 19th, 2002, 01:16 PM   #55

Ahh, there you have it. They "imagined" they would have more stability, but they have not experienced it! There's the catch.

Too, I would like to know how they think the second arm would make the camera more stable? What was their logic?

Jeff's example is a perfect one--follow shots. After the first attempt to follow something like a bird in flight, or even panning with a car or truck, I'd bet my head against a football you'd take off the second arm and chuck it.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads