DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Bogen 3046/503 head (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/28277-bogen-3046-503-head.html)

Paul Maxe June 30th, 2004 12:27 PM

Bogen 3046/503 head

Is this a good setup for wedding videography with a pd170? Do I need a ball leveler with that head?

Rob Wilson June 30th, 2004 03:15 PM

Paul,

Not sure which sticks I have but I am using that head with a GL2. In addition to the cam, I've got a extended battery, wireless receiver, ME66 shotgun and a XLR adapter on a mount so I'm sure it's total weight is over your PD 170. For the price, the head works very well with this setup. No complaints. Also not sure if you HAVE to have a ball leveler but you'd miss it if you didn't have one. Can't imagine having to mess with legs to level all the time. Cheers!

Jacob Ehrichs June 30th, 2004 03:19 PM

The 3046 legs are very 'heavy duty' and would likely do well in a wedding environment, granted you don't want to drag them all over the place. They're not exactly the lightest in the world. I haven't had any issues with mine, other than I would have liked a tripod that sat a little lower to the ground and possibly spread a little wider on the legs.

Paul Maxe July 1st, 2004 12:44 AM

What I mean is does that head have a built in leveler? Or built in ball leveler?

Don Bloom July 1st, 2004 05:23 AM

I use the 3046/3246 legs (3246 are the black ones) with a 3067 dolly at wedding ceremonies -I use 2 tripods and 1 dolly and the 30046/3246 IMO are great. Yes, they are heavy but I use the Bogen shoulder strap to tote them around and man let me tell you, the ability to get the tripod up, I mean way up in the air can be very helpful at times. The 3046 has a triple leg, the upper is a dual, the middle slides down with the use of the wing bolts and then there is a 3rd leg that extends from the 2nd. I love 'em. I use the 501 heads but all the same, the setup handles my 150's with great ease.
Don

The 503 doesn't have a ball leveler but the 3046 is relativly easy to level.

Jacob Ehrichs July 1st, 2004 08:29 AM

Dude, I didn't realize there was a 3rd leg? Is it inside of the single leg? I know I can go well over 6'+ with the single leg extended and the middle section raised all the way up, but with even MORE leg that could be well over 7' plus. WoW.

Don Bloom July 1st, 2004 09:33 AM

The other extender is inside the 2nd leg. Twist a friction grip and it will drop. IIRC it's about 19 inches. With my dolly without using the center column I can get my tripod over 8 ft up and with the center column about 10 ft. Makes for exciting times getting up there. Frankly I almost never use the lowest extension it almost never needed, but it's nice to know it's there if I DO need the extra height.
Don B.

Jacob Ehrichs July 1st, 2004 02:50 PM

hmmmm, I just checked my 3046 legs and there is no exension in the single leg. That's weird. The other thing I noticed though is the sticker on the center column says 3046 but the product tag near the head says Model #3040. It's possible they replaced the center column with a 3046 column if the original was damaged. I purchased used http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...809790069&rd=1. I'm sure that's why mine doesn't have the additonal leg extension, but I'm looking into it more. Man I was all pumped too. :(

Don Bloom July 1st, 2004 03:03 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=3&shs=&ci=3948&ac=&Submit.x=19&Submit.y=15

Thats a link to B&H-they have the extension legs-$44.95

The B&H number is BO3052

One of my older 3046's also didn't have the longer legs so I ordered them and took all of about 5 minutes to install. Pop off the plastic cap pull out the old, push in the new put the plastic cap back on and DONE!

Happy tripoding!
Don

Jacob Ehrichs July 1st, 2004 03:11 PM

Sweet! Thanks Don. So do you suppose I have the 3040's or the 3046? I'd lean toward the 3040s because they did make that model previously, and it's the most 'official' looking tag.

Don Bloom July 1st, 2004 04:30 PM

Couldn't say but if the build of the upper legs are the same as the 3046 you might try the extensions. Order them, see if they'll work and if not return 'em.
Don

Paul Maxe July 2nd, 2004 12:59 AM

Thanks so much Don! I am going to get the 3046 with the 503 head. Buying two of them! Going to see how I do without the dolly for now. What do you use it for mainly?

Don Bloom July 2nd, 2004 04:48 AM

in weddings I may use it for ceremonies and certain parts of receptions. Please keep in mind that I'm not talking about the big 3 man Hollywood dolly, but a MODIFIED 3067 that fits in the aislse at most churches very nicely as I've shortened the legs on it by approx. 5 inches therefore reducing the overall footprint AND because the leg clamps have been moved back about 4 inches I have just raised my camera by approx. 9 inches.
With VERY careful practice and blocking the shot out I use my tripod at ceremonies for the procession and yes I'm up front not on the altar but in front of it and as the bride is handed off to the groom and they start their way up the altar I start a slow turn and start to back down the aisle. I generally shoot from the center aisle as in most cases the officiant is on top of the altar and the B/G are 1 stair below facing each other for the vows. Anyway, the dolly allows me to move smoothly and quietly. I've not had any complaints over the many years I've been doing this as long as I'm careful. At the reception I use it for intros,toasts and sometimes, it depends on the situation the 1st dances. I like my stuff to be steady and the dolly gives me the ability to still move as needed or necessary.
Don