Anyone using the Bogen 503 or 505 head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Anyone using the Bogen 503 or 505 head?

I posted on another thread ,that I'm planning to get the Bogen 532art sticks, and wanted to get a real fluid head with it. the 519 looks very interesting but isn't available yet. The salesman at BH tried to talk me into the 503, which is available ( and cheaper). But someone here mentioned that the 503 isn't a "true fluid head", and would have " stiction" problems.The 505 is apparantly a real fluid head, but doesn't have the features ( choice of springs, etc.) like the new 519.
Unfortunatly, I can't try any of this stuff in South Fla., so I'm hoping someone can help me out.
Thanks again.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

According to the Manfrotto site the 505 head "comes complete with 4 interchangeable balance springs for 2.2, 4.4, 11, or 17 lb cameras". It is considerably more expensive than the 503 though.

A Manfrotto advert in a current UK magazine lists the 501 head as having "friction drag" and the 503 head as having "fluid drag". So there must be something wet in there somewhere :-)
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Pat,
Do you know what the difference is between the 505 and the 519?
Bruce yarock
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It appears that the 519 is a heavier-duty version. You can check out the differences at www.bogenimaging.us
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Bruce.

Unless you are going to be using multible different weight cameras, the 519 head won't be of much use to you, with the additonal springs. That's what the springs are for: different weights.

Also, according to Manfrotto, the 519, does not have a quick release plate! (Kind of important in a shoot & scoot).

I use the 516, which will hold up to 22 Lbs, same as the 519. Plus it has 2 pan handles. The 519 has only one.

I also purchased the LPlate with my Arts TP & 516 head. This allows me to counter-weight the head over a longer distance than the regular plate, which allows for the quick addition/subtraction of accessories, lens', etc., among other needs to reweight the system.

BIG price dif between the pricey 519 & the more "modest" 516.

The other heads 501, 503, are all modified friction heads.

As they use to say in the coustume movies of several decades ago:
"Choose your weapons"!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Robert,
thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the 505?
Bruce yarock
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Trustee

I've narrowed my choice down to either the 505 or the 516. they both have quick release plates. The 516 has two pan handles, but never having used one with two , I don't understand the benefit. The 505 is $110 more.
Right now I'm using a Canon GL1 with a bunch of accessories, but am planning to move up to the XL2 or the DVX100A.
Any final thoughts from you guys would be really helpfull.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Bruce,

As far as I can determine, the 505 might be considered "516 LITE". It does have a quick release. The only differents that I can determine, is the fact that it has, again, like some of the others, multible springs. If you need them to go to a lighter cam, fine. If you are going to change from light to heavy cameras, fine. I think the springs are the reason that the 505 is listed by you as $110 heavier in price.

Two pan handles:
You can control your cam with two hands.
I can place my EZ controller, and, "I NEED It NOW" stuff, on my handles, in any configuration that I decide, with out sacrificing smooth pan/tilt control.
Basicly, like any accessory, you have more control.

You do not mention, Bruce, if you are contemplating getting the head with a bowl??

I woud strongly suggest that you do NOT buy a TP without one. Whether you are in the studio, remote, etc., you will find that they are an absolute necessary item, just as the camera is.

Sorry for the delay in responding to you; but, it is bird migration time up here, and I am traveling from 3am onward to……?
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #9
Trustee

<You do not mention, Bruce, if you are contemplating getting the head with a bowl??

I woud strongly suggest that you do NOT buy a TP without one. Whether you are in the studio, remote, etc., you will find that they are an absolute necessary item, just as the camera is.>

Robert,
I ordered the 505, and will get it tommorrow.two questions-
1- I was under the impression that this head has a bowl...Is that correct?
2-What is a "TP"?
thanks again
Bruce Yarock
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce S. Yarock : I've narrowed my choice down to either the 505 or the 516. they both have quick release plates. The 516 has two pan handles, but never having used one with two , I don't understand the benefit. The 505 is $110 more.

Bruce Yarock -->>>

If you use the head in a studio setup, you need two handles on which to place the lens controls. Right handle for zoom, left handle for focus.
Old August 26th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #11
Major Player

TP: Tripod.

Some who are longing for days of yore, call them Sticks. Personally, I haven't used Sticks since the very eary '70's. They really were not the most stable support I have ever used.

I don't know if your new head comes with a bowl or not. I would check with your dealer, as to whether it is included with your order.

Good luck with your 505. If you need any questions answered, knock on my E-mail door.

Mike,

I will give you a very small disagreement on the pan handles. In the past I would agree with you. But, since I purchased an EZ rock controler this past spring, I find that rotating the left pan handle next to and forward of the eye piece, I can view the scene, and, at the same time, the EZ controls. Makes for less fumbling, especially with gloves on. And I do like all of my controls where I can see them.
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks for the info, guys. I got my 532art from B+H, and went with the 505 head from Adorama. What a beautifull set-up. The head is HUGE, and will handle many larger cameras ( I hope to upgrade to the xl2-lots of accessories). It's so smooth.
The tripod itself is really slick. It sets up in no time, and you can level with a button.
The only thing I wasn't ready for was the weight.Also, from the pics, I had no idea about the size of the head. i guess I won't be doing any back packing with this rig.Btw, anyone know of a good light weight rig? ( only kidding...this one tapped me out for now).
Bruce Yarock
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #13
Major Player

I back pack with mine several days a week, several miles round trip. You just learn to move a tad more slowly. Good luck with your purchase.
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Bruce... since you commented about a light rig... take a peek at the thread I've got right near this one... it's the one about the newest "cheap" Manfrotto head.

I've got a pretty high end pod, but I find myself in situations where I dread the weight and leave my tripod at home and take a monopod... just because I don't want to deal with it. Mine is 11 lbs and your's is 13.9 lbs unless you got the CF legs... I think the 532art is aluminum.

Anyway... for a "beater" pod I'm going to get one of the new 701rc2 heads and pop it on the 756b legs. Sure the head is fixed pan and tilt... but it's got fluid cartridges in it (according to Manfrotto) and a counterbalance spring... a sliding balance plate... and a quick-release plate. I'm flingin' flangin' intrigued!

For a total cost of UNDER $300 you get a pod that's SUPER light-weight (6.7 lbs TOTAL) complete with a leveler and compact folded size.

Okay if you're backpacking and you get the shot of a lifetime... like Bigfoot juggling 3 'possums by their tails... you'll wish you had your GOOD pod... but 99% of the time you'll be 2 miles up on that trail and you'll think, "hmm... the pod that's HALF this weight may have been good enough for today."

Sorry if this is OT... but you asked about a lightweight rig... and since you just tapped yourself out I thought you may appreciate the price. I'm definitely going to try one out.

Maybe in a few weeks you'll see a thread from me saying "Aaarrrghh... it's JUNK"... or maybe you'll see a thread from me saying "Aaaaah, the best $300 I ever spent"... stay tuned to find out.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #15
Trustee

matt,
Thanks for the info.I was joking about the "back packing"...down here in South Florida we just try to stay out of the heat. That does sound like a good deal though...Btw, my rig ( the 532 and the 505 head) weighs in at....17lbs.
later
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads