Miller/Vinten combo impressions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller/Vinten combo impressions?

Hey guys

Im considering getting the Miller Solo DV 2-stage Carbon Fiber legs and the Vinten VISION 3 fluid head to support a Canon GL2 - Basically I just need something very smooth and versatile for possible future upgrades in cameras and accesories - I chose the Miller due to its very light weight (portability) and outstanding capacity to hold light or heavy cameras - the same with the Vinten with the interchangeable counter-balance springs. I will be using it mostly for wildlife and nature type stuff but a number of additional unknown types of shooting are possible in the future. This combination seems like the best to handle the widest variety of possibilities for what I am after.

Has anyone had experience with this equipment and what are your impressions? Thanx in advance!
Todd Siechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I absolutely LOVE those Miller legs... I'm considering getting a set to replace my Gitzo legs... I've got the g1380 head and it's very similar to the Vinten 3... (VERY similar... check 'em out)... anyway I'm going to end up with basically what you're asking about. A 75mm bowl is a 75mm bowl.

The Miller legs are a joy to use... I like the padded tops and the collars are very ergo. Basically the Miller legs are everything I want. Good max height, lowest minimum height, and super user friendly.

Sooner or later I'm going to sell my Gitzo legs and get those Millers... Had I not been with one for a whole weekend I never would have known the difference. They are NICE.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanx for the input Matt - The Gitzo head I hadnt even noticed in my research. Dunno how i missed it, but now I have to do a feature comparison and see which one makes more sense. I love Gitzo stuff - I have one of their 1228's for still photography and I love it.

I would also like to get an adapter to be able to switch the 75mm for the regular threaded flat plate in case I want to interchange the legs with the heads I have. I looked on BHPhoto but many of the adapters were not clear onw what exactly they are for.

Thanx again
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Vision 3 CLICK HERE

G1380 CLICK HERE

If these are the prices you're looking at I'd have to go with the Vinten... but check 'em out to be sure. I'd hate to get the Vinten and then see a Gitzo and have the Gitzo work better... but based on rep I'd be surprised if that happened. If I had to guess and simply choose one I'd place my bets on Vinten... plus it's only $80 more and everybody in the DV world knows Vinten as top drawer.

I was merely pointing out that I have a head that's very similar and I'm going to get the Miller legs too. That's the one thing that's certain... you don't need to wonder if some other legs would make you happier... I LOVED 'em.

I've always been 100% happy with the head I got... but I don't know if I'd expect it to be any better then a Vinten or not... Jerry R from dv.com said he tried a bunch out and liked the Gitzo best and Bill Kc uses this same head... Maybe I'm just wowed by the Vinten name and that slick "cream" finish.
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Heh - thanx for the links Matt, but I already have all those products on my already-way-too-long wish list on BH. 8)

Yeah the Vinten seems to be the better choice slightly - that light color could be helpful at night in seeing what I am doing.

Got any soft case recomendations for the Miller legs?
Now Im getting excited to get them and put them to use. 8)

cheers!
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Todd Siechen : Yeah the Vinten seems to be the better choice slightly - that light color could be helpful at night in seeing what I am doing.-->>>

Yeah, the Vinten has an illuminated bubble level too... nice touch.

I was lucky enough to get a significant discount on my Gitzo head from a Canada distributor (who no longer carries them) otherwise I'd have gone with the Vinten... if nothing else simply because it is a "Vinten".

Which case? That's EASY... PortaBrace.
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OK I got my new gear today - the Vinten VISION 3 and Miller Solo DV tripod with a manfrotto 522 control handle and Porta Brace soft bag.

Overall I am very happy with the purchases but I think I may need the #1 spring for the Vinten as the GL2 is a bit light for the #2 spring even though thats the one they recommend on their site. When I tilt the camera forward it moves slowly back to being level instead of staying put. I have to clamp it down to get it to stay - not a huge deal but the weight of the cam is a bit too light for the spring. The fluid movement of the Vinten is a dream - I am gonna have a lot of fun with it.

Thanx for the help and advice Matt.

- todd
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Todd,

Are you still happy with the Vinten Vision 3 and Miller Solo DV combo? I am thinking going the same way. It seems to be the best combination of head and legs for the price and portability.

Randall
Randall Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Randall Campbell : Todd,

Are you still happy with the Vinten Vision 3 and Miller Solo DV combo? I am thinking going the same way. It seems to be the best combination of head and legs for the price and portability.

Randall -->>>

Yes, I am really satisfied with it. I recently took it to Hawaii and shot a bunch of stuff and it performed flawlessly. I still need practice of course to really make very smooth pans and tilts, but this head makes it fairly easy.

- todd
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Todd!

What problems do you have with geting smooth pans and tilts?

Randall
Randall Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well I am a bit of a perfectionist so by many standards the pans and tilts are already very smooth due to the wonderful vinten head, but with practice they can always be made even smoother.

- todd
Todd Siechen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads