LCD monitor tripod bracket? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 4th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

LCD monitor tripod bracket?

Anyone have recommendations for a bracket to attach my LCD monitor to my tripod?

I've been looking at one of those black string bean-looking things that you can clamp to a tripod leg and then flex it into whatever position you want...but there's gotta be a better solution than that.

Suggestions?
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use a Bogen Super Clamp and a Bogen Magic Arm. Both are great tools to have in your gaffers bag of tricks.

Works well with the smaller LCD monitors (smaller meaning NOT a 14 inch production monitor but a typical up to 8 inch LCD)

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Major Player

I wanted the monitor mounted so it would pan with the camera but not tilt. This bracket was fabricated from 3/4" wide strap steel and attached with a hose clamp.

http://www.highdesertracing.com/images/IMG_0185.jpg

Cost practically nothing and works great!

[edited to correct the width]
Old December 5th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Frazier : I wanted the monitor mounted so it would pan with the camera but not tilt. This bracket was fabricated from 1" wide strap steel and attached with a hose clamp.

http://www.highdesertracing.com/images/IMG_0185.jpg

Cost practically nothing and works great! -->>>

Looks great!

Can you explain a bit more on how did you do it?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Carlos,

The bracket was very easy to make. I started with a 3/4" wide X 1/8" thick (12 guage) piece of strap steel, 14" long, available at any hardware store. The bends were made by placing the piece in a vice and bending by hand. Use a hammer to sharpen the bends. Here's a picture with all dimensions:

http://www.highdesertracing.com/imag...torBracket.jpg

Drill a 1/4" (or slightly larger) hole and for my monitor, I use a 1/4"-20 bolt that is 1/2" long to attach the monitor.

Dimensions may vary to accomodate whatever monitor you use and the 40 degree angle at the top of the bracket can be adjusted to achieve the proper viewing angle. I'm about 6'4" so you may not need as much angle here.

I used a 1/2" wide stainless steel hose clamp around the base of my tripod head to attach the bracket. All tripod heads may not allow mounting in this manner, but it works with the Bogen 501/503 just fine. I haven't seen any commercial mounting solution that works as well as this, at least for my purposes.

Hope this helps.
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Major Player

what crane do you have?

if you have the skycrane ones they sell a bracket that fits it nicely.

i have a skycrane jr. but i am a big superclamp fan so i use that with the little tray from boge.

lots of bogen stuff like that on ebay cheap.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads