DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Buying second hand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/35935-buying-second-hand.html)

Carlos E. Martinez December 5th, 2004 07:21 AM

Buying second hand

In the next few weeks I should ge going through NY and Miami, looking for new and second hand stuff, particularly tripod/fluid head and lights.

What places should I go to, particularly in NY, to look for such things?

Is there any chance to find anything good in the $700/800 range, like a Sachtler or Miller, or am I dreaming?

Carlos

Matthew de Jongh December 6th, 2004 10:08 AM

i don't know about those other brands but i have a bogen 525mvb which has the 503 head and it was in the price range you mentioned brand new.

matthew

Carlos E. Martinez December 6th, 2004 01:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matthew de Jongh : i don't know about those other brands but i have a bogen 525mvb which has the 503 head and it was in the price range you mentioned brand new.
-->>>

Of course I know I can buy a Bogen new for less than that money, and probably will: #3181 legs with #503 head.

But Bogen is on a completely different league from Miller or Sachtler. You should try one of them to see what I mean. Those are heads that make the pan for you, almost, as a good tripod should.

If I can find a good deal on a better tripod, used but well taken care of, I may go for it. But a used tripod is something you have to try before buying.

Carlos

Allen Brodsky December 6th, 2004 03:10 PM

B&H has a used department in the store, on the second level, and they carry used tripods.

James Clarke December 6th, 2004 03:36 PM

Any pawn shop they are the best source for cheap equipment

Carlos E. Martinez December 6th, 2004 03:59 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by James Clarke : Any pawn shop they are the best source for cheap equipment -->>>

Any idea on where those shops might be in NY?

Carlos

Rick Bravo December 6th, 2004 04:25 PM

A crap shoot...

Going to pawn shops is a good idea...if you have the time to pick and choose.

If you are working on a timetable, it's best to stick to retail stores where they actually have the inventory and will honor a warranty.

While I wouldn't necessarily buy "electronics" of this caliber, I would not have a problem buying something mechanical like a set of sticks or a head that I can try and evaluate on the spot.

Remember that whatever you buy at a pawn shop is pretty much "as is" and are stuck if you need to repair it after its purchase.

Give me a shout while in Miami, if you have the time. I'd be happy to give you the all-inclusive, $1.00 tour of our facility.

RB

David Yuen December 6th, 2004 07:31 PM

Re: Buying second hand

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : In the next few weeks I should ge going through NY and Miami, looking for new and second hand stuff, particularly tripod/fluid head and lights.

What places should I go to, particularly in NY, to look for such things?

Is there any chance to find anything good in the $700/800 range, like a Sachtler or Miller, or am I dreaming?-->>>
Call the sales department of Vinten and Miller and ask if they have any B-stock. I just corresponded with both and they may still have used units in your requested price range.

Vinten is located in Cottage Valley, NY and Miller (US) is based in Cedar Grove, NJ.

You might also want to stop by videoscope in Miami.

Carlos E. Martinez December 6th, 2004 09:04 PM

Yes, I certainly agree that buying second hand from a non-specialty shop has no warranty.

But a tripod and some lights are something I think I can evaluate myself. Not much of a chance to cheat on that. If the movement is smooth and can be graduated, the head is fine.

Light heads from Lowel or better can be evaluated just by looking at them.

The timetable is a problem, that's why I am trying to get some addresses from some NY people here. They may have some tips.

B&H and Adorama are places I am already going to, so their used stuff should be inspected first thing.

Calling Miller or Vinten for B stock sounds like a good idea. Did anyone try that?

There are not too many places in Miami, unfortunately. Videoscope is one, Verite is another one, but they do not have too many things to just look around as B&H has.

Rick, I will certainly give you a call. Please e-mail me your phone numbers. I know a bit of Miami, as I was there plenty of times, even had an office there for my company. But it's such a big place!

Thanks for the ideas!

Carlos

David Yuen December 6th, 2004 09:23 PM

That's how I got my tripod

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : Calling Miller or Vinten for B stock sounds like a good idea. Did anyone try that? -->>>
That is how I got my tripod. At the time of this post, I had to choose between the Vinten for $805 and the Miller for $1037 and went with the Vinten based on the reviews. I corresponded with Bruce Johnson and he strongly recommended the Vinten head.

I tried the same tactic with Lowel but they sell only through their distributors.

Rick Bravo December 7th, 2004 07:42 AM

No email...

Carlos, your profile doesn't allow you to receive email.

RB