Buying second hand at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #1
Trustee

Buying second hand

In the next few weeks I should ge going through NY and Miami, looking for new and second hand stuff, particularly tripod/fluid head and lights.

What places should I go to, particularly in NY, to look for such things?

Is there any chance to find anything good in the $700/800 range, like a Sachtler or Miller, or am I dreaming?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2
Major Player

i don't know about those other brands but i have a bogen 525mvb which has the 503 head and it was in the price range you mentioned brand new.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Matthew de Jongh : i don't know about those other brands but i have a bogen 525mvb which has the 503 head and it was in the price range you mentioned brand new.
-->>>

Of course I know I can buy a Bogen new for less than that money, and probably will: #3181 legs with #503 head.

But Bogen is on a completely different league from Miller or Sachtler. You should try one of them to see what I mean. Those are heads that make the pan for you, almost, as a good tripod should.

If I can find a good deal on a better tripod, used but well taken care of, I may go for it. But a used tripod is something you have to try before buying.

Carlos
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

B&H has a used department in the store, on the second level, and they carry used tripods.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any pawn shop they are the best source for cheap equipment
James Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by James Clarke : Any pawn shop they are the best source for cheap equipment -->>>

Any idea on where those shops might be in NY?

Carlos
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #7
Major Player

A crap shoot...

Going to pawn shops is a good idea...if you have the time to pick and choose.

If you are working on a timetable, it's best to stick to retail stores where they actually have the inventory and will honor a warranty.

While I wouldn't necessarily buy "electronics" of this caliber, I would not have a problem buying something mechanical like a set of sticks or a head that I can try and evaluate on the spot.

Remember that whatever you buy at a pawn shop is pretty much "as is" and are stuck if you need to repair it after its purchase.

Give me a shout while in Miami, if you have the time. I'd be happy to give you the all-inclusive, $1.00 tour of our facility.

RB
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Buying second hand

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : In the next few weeks I should ge going through NY and Miami, looking for new and second hand stuff, particularly tripod/fluid head and lights.

What places should I go to, particularly in NY, to look for such things?

Is there any chance to find anything good in the $700/800 range, like a Sachtler or Miller, or am I dreaming?-->>>
Call the sales department of Vinten and Miller and ask if they have any B-stock. I just corresponded with both and they may still have used units in your requested price range.

Vinten is located in Cottage Valley, NY and Miller (US) is based in Cedar Grove, NJ.

You might also want to stop by videoscope in Miami.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #9
Trustee

Yes, I certainly agree that buying second hand from a non-specialty shop has no warranty.

But a tripod and some lights are something I think I can evaluate myself. Not much of a chance to cheat on that. If the movement is smooth and can be graduated, the head is fine.

Light heads from Lowel or better can be evaluated just by looking at them.

The timetable is a problem, that's why I am trying to get some addresses from some NY people here. They may have some tips.

B&H and Adorama are places I am already going to, so their used stuff should be inspected first thing.

Calling Miller or Vinten for B stock sounds like a good idea. Did anyone try that?

There are not too many places in Miami, unfortunately. Videoscope is one, Verite is another one, but they do not have too many things to just look around as B&H has.

Rick, I will certainly give you a call. Please e-mail me your phone numbers. I know a bit of Miami, as I was there plenty of times, even had an office there for my company. But it's such a big place!

Thanks for the ideas!

Carlos
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That's how I got my tripod

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : Calling Miller or Vinten for B stock sounds like a good idea. Did anyone try that? -->>>
That is how I got my tripod. At the time of this post, I had to choose between the Vinten for $805 and the Miller for $1037 and went with the Vinten based on the reviews. I corresponded with Bruce Johnson and he strongly recommended the Vinten head.

I tried the same tactic with Lowel but they sell only through their distributors.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #11
Major Player

No email...

Carlos, your profile doesn't allow you to receive email.

RB

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads