Dynatran quality??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Dynatran quality???

I need an inexpensive tripod (at least better than the one I'm currently using;freebie that came with GL2) that will allow me to get by until I can procure the funds for a reliable/professional tripod/head. Saw some Dynatran going fairly cheap on ebay, but I'm only familiar with Bogen...just wondering if one of these would be worth my $ (probably less than $50 incl. shipping) until I can get something better. Would only be used for taping weekly church services.
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sorry, have never heard of this brand. Most likely it will be pretty lousy at that price. I understand the budget thing, but throwing away $50 is not a good idea either. At that cost it probably won't be much better than your "freebie." I've seen several cheap tripods break without warning due to cheap plastic parts. In a couple cases the heads have snapped right off - and one of them was a tripod that appeared to be pretty solid, costing over $100. Would have been a disaster if I didn't have a grip on my camera!

If at all possible, save your money a little longer until you can get into the entry level Bogen/Manfrotto or Libec lines ~$150 typically. You can also look at the tripod specials at B&H Photo, one of DVinfo's sponsors http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=5167. They offer several in your price range, but of course you get what you pay for. At least in the case of B&H you know you're dealing with a reputable company that will give you good service if you have a problem.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I've heard of Dynatran. I don't know about their tripods, but I've heard their C-Stands are pretty flimsy.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Boyd!
Thanks Joshua!

I had a feeling I might be wasting money, but at the same time I was optimistic I could wind up with something a little better than what I've got now.

I had a thought the other day; try to adapt a spare Ultimate speaker support I own. They are superb for large weight stabilization (up to 100 lbs. I think), and since I have an extra, why not? It would just be a matter of finding a way to attach a fluid head to the support pole. And the extended height of the Ultimate is easily 72", which would put the camera above head level when the congregation was standing (That's one of my other current problems - older, flat sanctuary; I sometimes have to stand on my chair to see where the pastor is or who might be cueing up to speak next when the sanctuary is full and everyone is standing). Time to head downstairs to my laboratory...this way, Igor

Thanks again for the quick replies!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads